The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Why are the grade requirements for Computer Science in St Andrews quite low?

I was looking at the ranking tables for computer science degrees and compared to the rest of the top 10, the University of St Andrews have quite the low grade requirements with ABB (A in Maths) for Computer Science. Why is that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I was looking at the ranking tables for computer science degrees and compared to the rest of the top 10, the University of St Andrews have quite the low grade requirements with ABB (A in Maths) for Computer Science. Why is that?

Most likely they just don't get a huge amount of applicants for that course in particular, so they may hope that having lower entry requirements may increase the amount of applicants for that course.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
It isn't a particularly great uni, but it does have a lot of history, and has been a magnet for the rich for centuries.
Original post by StarLinyx
It isn't a particularly great uni, but it does have a lot of history, and has been a magnet for the rich for centuries.

i mean if you define 'great' by research output no it isn't particularly great but that's because it's an undergrad focused uni...

What are your reasons for saying it is not 'particularly great uni'? I'm just curious
Original post by vapordave
i mean if you define 'great' by research output no it isn't particularly great but that's because it's an undergrad focused uni...

Are there any other aspects in which St Andrews lacks/isn't particularly great?
Original post by vapordave

The feedback I have been given (anecdotal evidence) is that it looked dated and second rate compared to Bristol. But that is just one opinion.
The feedback I have been given (anecdotal evidence) is that it looked dated and second rate compared to Bristol. But that is just one opinion.

Don't think a sample size of one is very helpful to applicants.

Like all unis, St A has its pros and cons
Reply 8
Original post by Jb3010
Most likely they just don't get a huge amount of applicants for that course in particular, so they may hope that having lower entry requirements may increase the amount of applicants for that course.

St Andrews is actually a very competitive uni to get into. The grade requirements are set as a minimum of what they expect and most applicants will exceed these requirements. The admission process relies heavily on the personal statement and references.
Original post by S1098
St Andrews is actually a very competitive uni to get into. The grade requirements are set as a minimum of what they expect and most applicants will exceed these requirements. The admission process relies heavily on the personal statement and references.

Competitive or not, it is a rather superficial uni, and it is doing badly in the THES World ranking.
Original post by _Rusty_
Don't think a sample size of one is very helpful to applicants.

Like all unis, St A has its pros and cons

It has some nice buildings, and appeals to rich students with excellent grades (inflated somewhat by royal connections). A really boring place to spend 3 years though. I hope students there look out for one another.
It has some nice buildings, and appeals to rich students with excellent grades (inflated somewhat by royal connections). A really boring place to spend 3 years though. I hope students there look out for one another.

I don’t think you should really be giving opinions on the place when you don’t even know that most students there do a 4 year degree😬
Original post by _Rusty_
I don’t think you should really be giving opinions on the place when you don’t even know that most students there do a 4 year degree😬

I did know, just made an error. I am free to give opinions on St Andrews on TSR. This is not Iran.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13

PS is important, they have a fairly low offer rate, particularly for EU - see https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/640589/response/1538027/attach/4/Appendix%20A.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
I did know, just made an error. I am free to give opinions on St Andrews on TSR. This is not Iran.

This is derailing the thread so I’m not going to comment anymore
Reply 15
Competitive or not, it is a rather superficial uni, and it is doing badly in the THES World ranking.

Interesting that you are prepared to give these opinions when you've admitted that you know very little about the uni. What on earth is your evidence that it is a superficial uni? It is well regarded for its teaching and does very well for student satisfaction. It comes out lower in rankings based on research as it is a small university and so has fewer published papers. But that is probably of more importance at post-grad level

Isn't that with a contextual offer? The standard offer is AAA, and it's actually rare for me to see someone with that grades - the majority do have A*s.
Original post by Leaderboard
Isn't that with a contextual offer? The standard offer is AAA, and it's actually rare for me to see someone with that grades - the majority do have A*s.

Yep, sorry I forgot to say those were the minimum grade requirements for the course (still quite low tho). The standard for cs is AAB i think
Original post by S1098
Interesting that you are prepared to give these opinions when you've admitted that you know very little about the uni. What on earth is your evidence that it is a superficial uni? It is well regarded for its teaching and does very well for student satisfaction. It comes out lower in rankings based on research as it is a small university and so has fewer published papers. But that is probably of more importance at post-grad level

The THES rankings make a correct for the size of institution and subjects. LSE is also small, yet performs a lot better. Play the ball, not the poster.
Reply 19
The THES rankings make a correct for the size of institution and subjects. LSE is also small, yet performs a lot better. Play the ball, not the poster.

What I'm trying to do is provide relevant information for the OP. A comparison with LSE is really not relevant for someone looking at CS courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending