The Student Room Group

Rejected after being given email offer through clearing

i got an offer from a university through clearing although i couldn't accept / refer them on my UCAS at the time due to an embargo because a level results were coming out. Althought i called and they said it was okay for me to refer them on my UCAS at the later date when i could. In the offer in principle email it clearly stated that they can only withdraw the offer if the information i gave them differs from my UCAS (the information i gave did not differ). However, they have rejected me on UCAS and i am really confused as to why this has happened.

i plan on calling them again on Monday but also contacting other universities through clearing in that time. I was just wondering if universities can just randomly reject people like this and if this is okay because i kind of feel cheated as i had to decline my place at my insurance uni for them as i because you cant go through clearing if you have an offer. is there a possibility that this was a mistake and i was not meant to be rejected ? also if i contact other unis and get a place through clearing then they normally give 24h to accept but i wont be able to do that since i need to contact this uni on Monday but i am worried that clearing spaces will run out so i am just feeling lost and confused about what to do and what is happening.
Original post by Vidhisha_
i got an offer from a university through clearing although i couldn't accept / refer them on my UCAS at the time due to an embargo because a level results were coming out. Althought i called and they said it was okay for me to refer them on my UCAS at the later date when i could. In the offer in principle email it clearly stated that they can only withdraw the offer if the information i gave them differs from my UCAS (the information i gave did not differ). However, they have rejected me on UCAS and i am really confused as to why this has happened.

i plan on calling them again on Monday but also contacting other universities through clearing in that time. I was just wondering if universities can just randomly reject people like this and if this is okay because i kind of feel cheated as i had to decline my place at my insurance uni for them as i because you cant go through clearing if you have an offer. is there a possibility that this was a mistake and i was not meant to be rejected ? also if i contact other unis and get a place through clearing then they normally give 24h to accept but i wont be able to do that since i need to contact this uni on Monday but i am worried that clearing spaces will run out so i am just feeling lost and confused about what to do and what is happening.

This definitely might be a dodgy situation from that uni.
Can you give a few more details on uni/course?

@04MR17 looks like one for you!

First of all you are doing all of the right things, well done.
Monday needs to be planned out and well-executed.
Rest assured that not a lot will be happening over the weekend and most unis will not be operational at this time, so Monday is the one.

Can I ask what course you're looking at?

And if you are willing, could you tell us which university is messing you around a bit?
Reply 3
Thank you! I am trying to do what I can but I feel a bit helpless rn. What do you mean Monday needs to be a well executed plan ? I was just planning on calling and explaining my situation.

I am applying for physics bsc. The uni that’s messing around a bit is Southampton. Right now I hold an offer for Leicester uni as well which I have been told to accept by thr end of Monday so if things can’t be sorted with Southampton I will just accept Leicester.
Thank you! I am trying to do what I can but I feel a bit helpless rn. What do you mean Monday needs to be a well executed plan ? I was just planning on calling and explaining my situation.

I am applying for physics bsc. The uni that’s messing around a bit is Southampton. Right now I hold an offer for Leicester uni as well which I have been told to accept by thr end of Monday so if things can’t be sorted with Southampton I will just accept Leicester.

I mean you've got to be on the ball and ringing first thing as a lot of people will be trying to get on the phones on Monday morning.

Your conversation to Southampton needs to be:
- Provide your details
- Explain that you've had a verbal offer from them, it was confirmed via email, then you entered the course into UCAS and received a rejection
- They will apologise (I hope), and tell you whether you can enter it again
- You then need to tell them that you are holding an informal offer at another university and you need Southampton to confirm your place through UCAS by 1pm or you will no longer be considering them.

Then put Southampton back into UCAS if that's what Southampton tell you to do.

If at 1pm there's no news, phone Leicester first. Ask them to extend your informal offer deadline because another uni is messing you around and holding onto you. Then phone Southampton and put more pressure on them.

If you're still in limbo Monday afternoon come back to me and we'll figure out next steps.
But it sounds to me as if you've got your head screwed on and Soton or Leics will be lucky to have you. :heart:
Also press the quote button on my post to reply to me - that way I get a notification from it. I always check quotes first. :yep:
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
I mean you've got to be on the ball and ringing first thing as a lot of people will be trying to get on the phones on Monday morning.

- Provide your details
- Explain that you've had a verbal offer from them, it was confirmed via email, then you entered the course into UCAS and received a rejection
- You then need to tell them that you are holding an informal offer at another university and you need Southampton to confirm your place through UCAS by 1pm or you will no longer be considering them.

If at 1pm there's no news, phone Leicester first. Ask them to extend your informal offer deadline because another uni is messing you around and holding onto you. Then phone Southampton and put more pressure on them.

If you're still in limbo Monday afternoon come back to me and we'll figure out next steps.
But it sounds to me as if you've got your head screwed on and Soton or Leics will be lucky to have you. :heart:

thank you so much for all the help and support, I really really really appreciate it !!! i will give an update tomorrow. :smile:

are you sure I can tell Southampton that if they don't accept me by around 1 pm I will no longer be considering them ? because that feels like a threat and in this situation I need them more than they need me and what if saying that pushes them away. Also informal offers are hard to get because they are first come first serve so will saying another uni is holding onto me make them rethink my informal offer or something ?

Also when I was looking on Southamptons website it says their "clearing hotline is now closed", so does that mean they will no longer consider me despite having given me an offer in principle already ? i am really worried about that happening. Could it be a possibility that after giving me an offer they changed their entry requirements or had stronger a level applicants so decided to withdraw my offer in principle without telling me?

i am so sorry that I have so many questions, I am just a bit stressed !
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17

- Provide your details

HELP HELP

they are saying they dont need to accept me because they don't have it in writing that I could accept on the 17th but I was told on the phone that they would let me refer them on the 17th due to the complication of my situation. I don't know what to do, they are also not picking up my calls anymore so cant find the person who told me on the day that accepting on the 17th would be okay. Can they just ignore or choose to not pick up my calls ???
(edited 8 months ago)
HELP HELP

they are saying they dont need to accept me because they don't have it in writing that I could accept on the 17th but I was told on the phone that they would let me refer them on the 17th due to the complication of my situation. I don't know what to do, they are also not picking up my calls anymore so cant find the person who told me on the day that accepting on the 17th would be okay. Can they just ignore or choose to not pick up my calls ???

Breathe, do you have some water with you? Look after yourself is number one.

Go back to the email you were sent. Was there a deadline for you to accept that "offer in principle" by?
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
Breathe, do you have some water with you? Look after yourself is number one.

Go back to the email you were sent. Was there a deadline for you to accept that "offer in principle" by?

yes but because of the embargo I couldn't accept and I called multiple times to let them know that and every time I was told that it was fine for me to refer them on the 17th because it wasn't my fault. i am trying to find the woman who told me that it would be okay to refer them on the 17th because she is the one who I spoke to most of the time but I kept either being put on hold then hung up on and when I was put through to their manager she told me she would contact me later and when I tried to ask when she just hung up on me.
yes

What was the deadline you were given on the email?
Reply 11
Original post by 04MR17
What was the deadline you were given on the email?

11th because that was the day befor the second embargo period began I think.
sorry let me explain my situation fully :
I had an offer sort of from Kings (my insurance) but it just said "waiting for confirmation" and I contacted them and asked them to make my application unsuccessful so that I could accept Southampton but they said they couldn't do that because their embargo period went all the way till the 17th. So I contacted Southampton again and I spoke to this woman who told me that it would be okay for me to accept on the 17th and she said she checked with her manager and everything so it would be fine because I was literally helpless. I tried to find this woman but I couldn't seem to get in contact with her on the phone and one of my phone calls went through just now and I got tokd I will be getting a call later but idk what time.
11th because that was the day befor the second embargo period began I think.
sorry let me explain my situation fully :
I had an offer sort of from Kings (my insurance) but it just said "waiting for confirmation" and I contacted them and asked them to make my application unsuccessful so that I could accept Southampton but they said they couldn't do that because their embargo period went all the way till the 17th. So I contacted Southampton again and I spoke to this woman who told me that it would be okay for me to accept on the 17th and she said she checked with her manager and everything so it would be fine because I was literally helpless. I tried to find this woman but I couldn't seem to get in contact with her on the phone and one of my phone calls went through just now and I got tokd I will be getting a call later but idk what time.

Okay, so you need to explain to Liverpool that you were unable to accept their clearing offer originally due to KCL (insurance) holding onto you and then it was the embargo.

Hopefully Liverpool will see sense.

What you need to do now is phone Leicester, ask for an extension to your clearing offer: "because another uni have been messing me around and telling me different things about accepting and rejecting, I just need a bit of time to get things straight with them"
Reply 13

@universityofkent did something similar to this to me last year. Extremely unprofessional behaviour on their behalf and we have no one to approach in order to get justice.
Reply 14
Original post by 04MR17
Okay, so you need to explain to Liverpool that you were unable to accept their clearing offer originally due to KCL (insurance) holding onto you and then it was the embargo.

Hopefully Liverpool will see sense.

What you need to do now is phone Leicester, ask for an extension to your clearing offer: "because another uni have been messing me around and telling me different things about accepting and rejecting, I just need a bit of time to get things straight with them"

GOOD NEWS !!!!

SOUTHAMPTON TOOK ME !!!!!

I LITERALLY CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR YOUR HELP, LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!! (idk how to add cute emojis but pretend there is a heart here)
(edited 8 months ago)
GOOD NEWS !!!!

SOUTHAMPTON TOOK ME !!!!!

I LITERALLY CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR YOUR HELP, LOVE YOU GUY!!!!! (idk how to add cute emojis but pretend there is a heart here)

Thanks very much for updating, so pleased for you :cube:

For heart emojis, type [noparse]:heart:[/noparse]
:wink:

If you need help in the future, :tsr: is the place to come :smile:
Reply 16
Great news!
Reply 17
Glad that’s sorted for you. Sounded v stressful.

I guess the ‘takeaway’ for anyone else reading is to always ask for the name of who you’ve spoken to on the phone and note it down and also ask them to confirm via email anything they’ve said….easier said than done to actually get them to do that I’d imagine!

Enjoy prepping for Southampton.
delighted to hear this is sorted out - what a pickle the unis got in and you were stuck in the middle, all the best for your course at Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending