The Student Room Group

Is better to pay £1000 more to live with people know

The people I know have picked an accommodation that will cost me £1500 over the academic year to live with them or go to a cheaper accommodation by myself with people I never met .is it worth paying more to live with people u know?
Original post by abbccc321
The people I know have picked an accommodation that will cost me £1500 over the academic year to live with them or go to a cheaper accommodation by myself with people I never met .is it worth paying more to live with people u know?

Can you afford it?

Hey there @abbccc321 !
This completely depends on your own personal circumstances. For example: Can you afford the extra £1500? How close are you to these friends? What's the nicer accommodation?

If you're only considering living with these friends for convenience because you already know them but you're not really that close then my advice is no. There will be plenty of opportunities to make new friends in student accommodation and the money you save on rent, you could put towards things like food for the week and going out and having a good time. When you move back into halls you can usually see what year the people are in who have already booked the flat so you can even tailor that to your own personal preference. Even if you are close to these people but can't afford the extra rent, you can always go and see them often as I assume you'll be in the same city.

If you're really close with these friends and they've been a good, consistent support system for you this year and it's feasible for you, then I think it's worth spending the extra money. Going into halls is a risk because it's a 50/50 of whether you're going to get on with your new flatmates or not. It won't be so much like starting again if you move in with friends you already have. I wouldn't personally break the bank to ensure living with them as you can always visit and I'm sure they wouldn't hold a grudge with you about it as it is money at the end of the day.

Have you tried talking to them about this? If they haven't already booked and secured it then why don't you do some research and find some cheaper alternatives to suggest to them? I'm sure they can understand that everyone's budget is different.

Hope this helped, fingers crossed for you.
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
@Reality Check Yes but it's tight will have to live frugally and have to ask parents for money, have to ask them either way but if I live with my friends will have to ask for more, even with doing a summer job and no time to do a gib during uni
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi abbccc321,
I agree with the other posters in that you need to ask yourself if you can afford to pay the extra £1500? Whilst you may be able to cut costs to be able to cover the extra £1500 that you need to live with your friends, you may want to consider how that will impact your wellbeing and student experience? I faced a similar situation in my third year of uni and opted to move into a different private student accommodation with another friend who wanted something more affordable and ended up making even more friends at this accommodation. This didn't mean that I didn't hang out with my other friends as much, we would regularly visit each other in fact.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi abbccc321,
I agree with the other posters in that you need to ask yourself if you can afford to pay the extra £1500? Whilst you may be able to cut costs to be able to cover the extra £1500 that you need to live with your friends, you may want to consider how that will impact your wellbeing and student experience? I faced a similar situation in my third year of uni and opted to move into a different private student accommodation with another friend who wanted something more affordable and ended up making even more friends at this accommodation. This didn't mean that I didn't hang out with my other friends as much, we would regularly visit each other in fact.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

my parents said the £1500 is not a big issue but i am now concidering trasfering uni i appled in ucas if i get offers back i might change uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending