The Student Room Group

DPsych Counselling Psychology - GCU

Has anyone applied to this course for 2023 entry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, I have! Still waiting to hear back 😕
Reply 2
I’m still waiting too! Hoping to hear soon
Reply 3
Ahh phew! I was getting a bit worried. Fingers crossed you hear something soon too. The programme admin said it wouldn’t be until after Easter but still checking emails daily
Reply 4
Hi guys, I've applied as well, still waiting to hear.

Interested to know how many applications the course gets, if it's anything like clinical at Glasgow it can be an acceptance rate of around 8% 😱 So good luck.

But that's fully funded by the NES, so very competitive.
Reply 5
Me too! There wasn’t very much information that way online anywhere about how many applications the course receives and how many people get offered a place on the course
Reply 6
Original post by JulesAN
Me too! There wasn’t very much information that way online anywhere about how many applications the course receives and how many people get offered a place on the course

It's good that clearing house breaks it down (for clinical). Anything funded by the NES is likely going to get the most applicants, so my educated guess here is due to potential self-funding the applicant pool might be a bit smaller. However, with this being the only programme of its kind in Scotland that likely makes it popular in of itself :eek:

I've got some decent experience through the NHS now, but looking more generally at Unis on experience and speaking to some colleagues/those throughout the NHS, psychology doctorates can just be brutally competitive and people with years of experience sometimes politely told "Sorry, we want even more experience". Couple that with me getting a 2:1 in BSc Psychology and I'm under no illusions there will be applicants ahead of me.

Still, crossing my fingers I can maybe get an interview and shine there! If not it'll just be carry on building up experience and apply again this year to clearing house/early next year. Best of luck to yourself.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
"Unfortunately we are unable to offer you entry to the programme as there is a lot of competition for places on this programme and your application was not as strong as other applicants this year."

Gutted. Hope the response is better for the rest of you!
Reply 8
Original post by JulesAN
Hello, I have! Still waiting to hear back 😕

Original post by SophH1101
Has anyone applied to this course for 2023 entry?

Hi everyone 👋, good luck with your applications... The wait is hard but hopefully you should hear back soon 🙏. I was interviewed last week, the interviewer was lovely... Really puts you at ease! Currently awaiting the outcome! Gd luck to you all 🤞 😊
Reply 9

Hello, fantastic well done! Hope you hear back soon! My interview is in another week. Excited and nervous. Any helpful tips to consider?
Reply 10
For those getting interviews, could I ask how much experience you had behind you and where? Good luck to you all!
Original post by JulesAN

Hello, fantastic well done! Hope you hear back soon! My interview is in another week. Excited and nervous. Any helpful tips to consider?

All the best to you! Will keep fingers crossed for you! It was very relaxed, predominantly about your life/ work/ academic experience thus far so very personal to you. Try not to worry though it goes in very quickly and you will be made to feel very at ease. Good luck🤞
Original post by GavDee
For those getting interviews, could I ask how much experience you had behind you and where? Good luck to you all!

I'm really sorry to hear the outcome for you, please try not be too disheartened.. I know that is easy to say though, especially if you set your heart on this course. So in terms of experience I'm not exactly sure what it is they are exactly looking for in terms of length or specific areas of experience. My undergrad degree is not in psychology, instead it is in social work. Pre qualifying I've worked in different support sectors including homelessness, additional support needs etc. My post qualifying experience has been in social work field for the last few years within different areas including mental health. Currently in the process of completing masters psychology conversion. Good luck with your future endeavors, I hope it won't deter you... I always say what's meant for you won't go by you and maybe the time just wasn't right for you this year.
Reply 13
Original post by Darkskies86
I'm really sorry to hear the outcome for you, please try not be too disheartened.. I know that is easy to say though, especially if you set your heart on this course. So in terms of experience I'm not exactly sure what it is they are exactly looking for in terms of length or specific areas of experience. My undergrad degree is not in psychology, instead it is in social work. Pre qualifying I've worked in different support sectors including homelessness, additional support needs etc. My post qualifying experience has been in social work field for the last few years within different areas including mental health. Currently in the process of completing masters psychology conversion. Good luck with your future endeavors, I hope it won't deter you... I always say what's meant for you won't go by you and maybe the time just wasn't right for you this year.

Yeah, that's great thanks. It's 100% my experience right now that is lacking at the moment when it comes to the competitive nature of positions on these courses. Your experiential background is stellar and the conversion route ideal for someone like yourself! I'm sure you'll get on.

These two links were great reading for myself and anyone else

https://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341
https://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1747

Because you are right, nothing to get deterred about, it's just a case of if you want it pursue everything you need to do, to be given a chance. And in this field that pretty much amounts to... experience, experience, experience! :biggrin: Obviously a baseline academic standard/level is required, but that's arguably the "easy" bit here!

I'm building up working experience right now and have more opportunities lined up this year, so I'll be back again later this year/early next applying for courses.
Well done picking yourself up and not letting it deter you! What a great mindset to have!To gain a 2:1 in your undergrad is a fantastic achievement! The fact you can identify possibly gaps in your experience and your plans to enhance this demonstrates great determination and self -reflection. I'm sure voluntary or paid experience would hold the same merit so if you were able to compliment paid employment with even a couple of hours per month in a therapeutic role depending on your personal circumstances that might be enough. I think if you reapply that will also demonstrate your commitment to this particular course given you have reflected on their feedback, went away and looked to gain more experience and came back 12 months later. Regardless of the outcome I will also apply once more next year if unsuccessful, so perhaps might be talking to you again in 12 months time during application stage 😊
Reply 15
Original post by Darkskies86
Well done picking yourself up and not letting it deter you! What a great mindset to have!To gain a 2:1 in your undergrad is a fantastic achievement! The fact you can identify possibly gaps in your experience and your plans to enhance this demonstrates great determination and self -reflection. I'm sure voluntary or paid experience would hold the same merit so if you were able to compliment paid employment with even a couple of hours per month in a therapeutic role depending on your personal circumstances that might be enough. I think if you reapply that will also demonstrate your commitment to this particular course given you have reflected on their feedback, went away and looked to gain more experience and came back 12 months later. Regardless of the outcome I will also apply once more next year if unsuccessful, so perhaps might be talking to you again in 12 months time during application stage 😊

Your experience is great, I'm sure if you did well in your interview you'll get it :h:

And yeah I contacted admissions to ask if they can expand a bit more on what they're looking for from me, but I do know it will be more experience. So that's my goal in the coming year.
Original post by GavDee
Yeah, that's great thanks. It's 100% my experience right now that is lacking at the moment when it comes to the competitive nature of positions on these courses...

Because you are right, nothing to get deterred about, it's just a case of if you want it pursue everything you need to do, to be given a chance. And in this field that pretty much amounts to... experience, experience, experience! :biggrin: Obviously a baseline academic standard/level is required, but that's arguably the "easy" bit here!

I'm building up working experience right now and have more opportunities lined up this year, so I'll be back again later this year/early next applying for courses.

Though I have not been involved in counselling psychology doctoral selection, I have been involved in clinical psychology selection, so there is likely to be some overlap. While the point you make about experience being essential is true, it's not the full story nor is it a case of "if you serve enough time as an HCA/AP you eventually get onto training". That mindset is why you get some assistant psychologists applying year after year with no success then pushing the story that it's impossible to get onto a doctorate.

The other part is the ability to reflect on that experience and being able to think psychologically, which usually is where good clinical supervision, being part of reflective practice and being able to tap into the various aspects of being a practitioner psychologist comes in. The more you can demonstrate you are a good fit with those core competencies the better your application is going to be. For instance, here is the Programme Spec for the Couns Psy Doctorate at City (which is fairly standard for a counselling psychology doctorate). https://www.city.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/686531/DSDCPS-DPsych-Counselling-Psychology.pdf

There is a lot there to cover potentially, but if you are smart about it and have exposure to Clinical/Counselling Psychologists who can mentor and learn from it gets integrated into the day to day work while you are gaining that experience. If there is a gap, your next role should be looking to cover it, rather than just going for an area you like and feel comfortable with. Hope that gives you and other readers something to consider.
Reply 17
Original post by Lord Asriel
Though I have not been involved in counselling psychology doctoral selection, I have been involved in clinical psychology selection, so there is likely to be some overlap. While the point you make about experience being essential is true, it's not the full story nor is it a case of "if you serve enough time as an HCA/AP you eventually get onto training". That mindset is why you get some assistant psychologists applying year after year with no success then pushing the story that it's impossible to get onto a doctorate.

The other part is the ability to reflect on that experience and being able to think psychologically, which usually is where good clinical supervision, being part of reflective practice and being able to tap into the various aspects of being a practitioner psychologist comes in. The more you can demonstrate you are a good fit with those core competencies the better your application is going to be. For instance, here is the Programme Spec for the Couns Psy Doctorate at City (which is fairly standard for a counselling psychology doctorate). https://www.city.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/686531/DSDCPS-DPsych-Counselling-Psychology.pdf

There is a lot there to cover potentially, but if you are smart about it and have exposure to Clinical/Counselling Psychologists who can mentor and learn from it gets integrated into the day to day work while you are gaining that experience. If there is a gap, your next role should be looking to cover it, rather than just going for an area you like and feel comfortable with. Hope that gives you and other readers something to consider.

Thank you very much for the advice, and I do agree, the reflective practice was something presented of great importance during my degree itself. What you have said makes a lot of sense between simply being in a workplace/environment and actually paying attention, analysing and critically thinking about it.

I already diary plan my current experiences as it is, or at least notable experiences, obviously with data protection/patient confidentiality in mind. It's just how I roll as an individual, I enjoy reflecting. But you highlighting the importance of that in terms of acceptance into a programme definitely gives me some added inspiration at the moment to continue working hard and persist.
Reply 18
Original post by JulesAN

Spoiler

Congrats on the interview! Hope it went well. I had mine recently and don't know how to feel about it, I felt quite nervous and like I was babbling at points but I guess they expect a degree of nerves from anyone. Did you get any idea on when we might hear back? Really crossing my fingers for this one, although I have no idea how competitive it is!
Reply 19
Original post by P.Haig
Congrats on the interview! Hope it went well. I had mine recently and don't know how to feel about it, I felt quite nervous and like I was babbling at points but I guess they expect a degree of nerves from anyone. Did you get any idea on when we might hear back? Really crossing my fingers for this one, although I have no idea how competitive it is!

Hello,
I had my interview on Friday just there. It went by really quickly and I was pretty nervous like you. I was advised it could take up to 2 weeks to hear back as they are still conducting interviews. I’m sure you did really well! We are our own worst critics aren’t we. I heard back this morning that I had been offered an unconditional place. So really pleased as I was expecting to not be successful. Fingers tightly crossed for you and I hope you hear back soon

Quick Reply

Latest