The Student Room Group

contextual offer only if firm?

I've had a couple contextual offers from different unis, and thought they would work whatever. But now I've heard from others that contextual offers are only valid at their lower grade entry (at least for some unis) if you put it as your firm, not your insurance choice. Is this the case?
Original post by someonedontask
I've had a couple contextual offers from different unis, and thought they would work whatever. But now I've heard from others that contextual offers are only valid at their lower grade entry (at least for some unis) if you put it as your firm, not your insurance choice. Is this the case?

Contextual offers apply whether you firm a university or not. They are designed to increase the numbers of disadvantaged students in that university.

There used to be a practice known as unconditional if firm. These have almost all been ruled out as universities were under pressure to stop it as it was placing students under unfair pressure. Maybe that is what you have heard
Yes, some unis may offer a reduction in grades if firmed, but that is a marketing tool and unrelated to contextual offer making.
Reply 3
Contextual offers are about 'widening participation' by those from specific postcodes and low-performing schools etc - not because you did an EPQ (those offers are simply 'alternative grade offers')
We have the same this year - contextual offers due to very difficult circumstances for the young person but all the universities offering say can only have them if make their Uni the firm choice not insurance. Doesn’t seem fair !
Original post by UsernameB
We have the same this year - contextual offers due to very difficult circumstances for the young person but all the universities offering say can only have them if make their Uni the firm choice not insurance. Doesn’t seem fair !

You need to report the university doing this to UCAS.

Do you mean 'contextual' or 'extenuating circumstances' - and are either of these phrases actually mentioned in the offer, or is is just 'lower offer if Firm'? Please can you clarify this?
The offers are contextual and state that but also state only apply if made firm choice.
This means the child can only benefit from the one grade reduction, extra support and financial help etc if they make firm not as insurance. Thus meaning a uni that doesn’t offer contextual places based on my child’s circumstances must be placed as reserve due to lower grade offer. Conditions met for contextual are multiple. They have two uni offering contextual and can’t use the one they want as insurance because the contextual only applies if made firm choice it says. Contextual being made due to where they live, school attended, finances, carer status, own status as adopted care leaver etc etc !
So they have to add another uni as insurance to get the lower grade back up but that uni offers no extra support at all as no contextual offers.
It seems wrong to me and I’m being told different things by different people.
If the grade requirement if Insured is the full standard offer, (IE. there isn't a partial reduction for being contextual, and another for Firming), and they're stating categorically that the reduced one is a contextual offer, then I would report this to [email protected].

Contextual offers aren't a marketing device and they should not be applying them in this way.
Thanks - some friends of theirs have the same from their universities too! This seems to be very common amongst many of them
My child called the universities that made contextual offers based on their circumstances and every single one said - the offer only applies if they make them the form choice. Because of how the grades work they now have to use a uni for insurance that has no contextual offer and they will miss out on extra support practical/financial etc. it doesn’t seem right and so many say they can’t do it but every single one has !!
My child called the universities that made contextual offers based on their circumstances and every single one said - the offer only applies if they make them the form choice. Because of how the grades work they now have to use a uni for insurance that has no contextual offer and they will miss out on extra support practical/financial etc. it doesn’t seem right and so many say they can’t do it but every single one has !!

Act as advised and report the unis to ucas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending