The Student Room Group

Glasgow or Aberdeen? What are your thoughts?

Hey guys, I have offers from Aberdeen, Glasgow and Strathclyde University for Business.

I’m an international student so I don’t know those universities or areas and although i’ve visited them I don’t know them like you guys do living and studying there

Let me know what your experiences have been like at the universities and in these areas!
Glasgow! Aberdeen is a top uni but the city is far from anywhere else. In contrast, Glasgow is also a top uni - considered an 'Ancient' since it was one of the first unis in the UK. Glasgow city is a lovely vibrant city with a great student life. Strathclyde uni is also based in Glasgow city and is a top uni but is smaller than Glasgow uni.

Go to one of the Glasgow-based unis.
Original post by kyraxrae
Hey guys, I have offers from Aberdeen, Glasgow and Strathclyde University for Business.

I’m an international student so I don’t know those universities or areas and although i’ve visited them I don’t know them like you guys do living and studying there

Let me know what your experiences have been like at the universities and in these areas!

Hello @kyraxrae,
Congratulations on receiving offers to study in Scotland! There are a few things that might be helpful to consider.

City Life
Aberdeen is more isolated and a smaller city in comparison to Glasgow. Glasgow is a big and vibrant city with lots to offer both culturally and socially. Glasgow also has better transport links, having both an airport and being an hour or so away from Edinburgh. Strathclyde is a city campus right in the heart of the Glasgow and everything is on your doorstep.

Course
Have a look again at the course structure and see if there is one you prefer. You will be studying it for quite a few years so it is important you enjoy it.
Strathclyde have a dedicated business school building and does have a strong international student cohort.

Uni Life
Have a look on the uni websites and social media to see what clubs and societies are on offer. I know at Strathclyde we have lots of different societies and for many students it makes a big difference to their student experience.

Studying at Strathclyde for the last 4 years I have enjoyed my time studying in Glasgow. It is a great city for students and has lots to offer and explore. I have friends who study business who really enjoy the course. The business school is ideally located, across the road from the sports center and library.

All the best making your decision and hope you enjoy uni (whichever one you choose). Catherine - Strathclyde Uni Student Ambassador

Congrats on being offered multiple places to study. I'm just away to wrap up my 4th year at Aberdeen so will try to give some insight on what it's like to study here.

Aberdeen is one of 'the four' in Scotland (Glasgow also being on the list) so it is a great ancient campus. Aberdeen is the third biggest city in Scotland so you aren't missing out in the way of student life and activities. The train station is also a 15 minute bus away if you wanted to go into Edinburgh or Glasgow. It means you also get the best of the Scottish Highlands at your doorstep, with the Whisky trail being a tourist favourite alongside the Cairngorms National Park being only an hour away; it truly is the best of both the city experience and the highlands of Scotland.

We also have an airport a 20 minute drive away, although admittedly smaller than Scotland's two main international airports it is easy to get to a wide range of European destinations if you didn't want to go to Glasgow or Edinburgh. Another good thing is that we're in walking distance of the beach at Aberdeen which is a student favourite when the weather is nice. It's also nice to get snow around Christmas, keeps you in the festive spirit even when exams are on!

Aberdeen is definitely a 'campus' uni with everything being in walking distance which is incredibly beneficial. The undergraduate student village has a direct bus link and you are not far from a wide range of food shops, cinemas and entertainment. I loved the class sizes at Aberdeen, you never feel like you can't get to know your lecturers (especially in later years and tutorials). We also have 2 main library's on campus and a wide range of study spaces (as well as some with the view of our 500 year old chapel).

The Business School was also ranked 2nd in the UK for Accounting and Finance recently, and the Business School have a bunch of information for undergraduates you can have a look at here if you're interested: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/business/courses/undergraduate/index.php
The University’s location in Aberdeen an internationally recognised business centre that boasts the offices of 20 FTSE 100 companies means that our curriculum is strongly geared towards the needs of industry.

Our student population is proudly international, we have a dedicated International Centre which hosts monthly food events and trips to help our student body experience all that Aberdeen and Scotland as a whole have to offer: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/students/student-life/international-centre-3345.php

I think it would be a good idea to have a look around this website, see what people are saying about the different unis you have offers for, and think about what appeals to you about the cities and courses you would be taking. You can look at contacting the course coordinators if you wanted to know anything more about the specifics of the degree and they can look at answering some questions you might have.

I hope this helps in your decision making! If you'd like to know anything about studying in Aberdeen just let us know.

- Theo, Student Ambassador

Hi there,
This might help but we've recently done student guides to Aberdeen and Glasgow.

You can check them both out here:
Aberdeen - https://bit.ly/3WLVGFE
Glasgow - http://bit.ly/3L4S8M0

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending