The Student Room Group

Raf PJFT

So I just had my first attempt at the fitness test.. I’m in reasonably good shape. Done a few practice runs at the gym and smashed all aspects, so I thought I’m ready for this…

On the day of my test, I did my 1.5 mile run in 11 minutes 15 (I’m 35 years old and my cut off time is 12 minutes) so I was chuffed with that time.. press-ups I did 27 (only needed 18) and 27 sit ups… I needed 29!!!!!!!

The personal trainer that did my test was very strict.. he said the back of my SHOULDERS, needed to touch the mat each time..?? I don’t take shortcuts but I have never done sit ups where my shoulders touch the floor each rep.

I even went back onto the RAF recruitment pages and watched their tutorial videos of the correct form for sit ups, and the raf PT’s don’t do this..

Have I just not trained enough, or have I been cheated by some civi street pt?
Reply 1
Original post by Recruit99
So I just had my first attempt at the fitness test.. I’m in reasonably good shape. Done a few practice runs at the gym and smashed all aspects, so I thought I’m ready for this…

On the day of my test, I did my 1.5 mile run in 11 minutes 15 (I’m 35 years old and my cut off time is 12 minutes) so I was chuffed with that time.. press-ups I did 27 (only needed 18) and 27 sit ups… I needed 29!!!!!!!

The personal trainer that did my test was very strict.. he said the back of my SHOULDERS, needed to touch the mat each time..?? I don’t take shortcuts but I have never done sit ups where my shoulders touch the floor each rep.

I even went back onto the RAF recruitment pages and watched their tutorial videos of the correct form for sit ups, and the raf PT’s don’t do this..

Have I just not trained enough, or have I been cheated by some civi street pt?

It says in the video that when you lower yourself "your shoulders and back touch the floor". You can even see that is what is being done. If you aren't going flat it won't count, but you can aim to do extra, then it won't matter if any are discounted.

https://recruitment.raf.mod.uk/fitness-in-the-raf
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
It says in the video that when you lower yourself "your shoulders and back touch the floor". You can even see that is what is being done. If you aren't going flat it won't count, but you can aim to do extra, then it won't matter if any are discounted.

https://recruitment.raf.mod.uk/fitness-in-the-raf

So it does, I was watching it with no sound 😂 in this video it’s just his shoulder blades touching..? I went all out and pressed the backs of my shoulder/arms against the mat 🤦🏻*♂️

where are you reading that if you do extra any discounted won’t matter?
Reply 3
So it does, I was watching it with no sound 😂 in this video it’s just his shoulder blades touching..? I went all out and pressed the backs of my shoulder/arms against the mat 🤦🏻*♂️

where are you reading that if you do extra any discounted won’t matter?

Ex-RAF, former Recruiter. My experience has always been that if you do a couple of poor press-ups/sit-ups but regain form they will count those subsequent good ones to the total. Lose form completely and you'll be stopped and failed if you haven't reached the total

What happened with yours?
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
Ex-RAF, former Recruiter. My experience has always been that if you do a couple of poor press-ups/sit-ups but regain form they will count those subsequent good ones to the total. Lose form completely and you'll be stopped and failed if you haven't reached the total

What happened with yours?

So during my sit up element of the PJFT he read out the protocol to me and said he won’t be holding my feet, instead I could use a wire at the bottom of a handrail..

“Instructors/Partners. Instructors/Partners are to ensure that the participant's feet are secured for the duration of the test to stop rocking, stabilise the lower body and to ensure that the feet remain in contact with the mat. Participants should be asked as to how they wish their feet to be secured (held, knelt-on or stood-on).”

https://recruitment.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1954/20150825-pjft_prtc_fitness_protocols-u.pdf

using a wire rather than something solid and weighted holding my feet down in my opinion is what has contributed to me falling short and failing. Also, it says in this PDF that the shoulder blades should touch the floor, not my actual shoulders.. so here is me doing as this PT said doing more than I should have done, with un adequate support for my feet.

I brought this up with my AFCO and waiting on a response. I’ll happily resit it as I’ve no choice, but I’m not happy with it counting as my second attempt and adding another 4 weeks onto my joining process.
Reply 5
So during my sit up element of the PJFT he read out the protocol to me and said he won’t be holding my feet, instead I could use a wire at the bottom of a handrail..

“Instructors/Partners. Instructors/Partners are to ensure that the participant's feet are secured for the duration of the test to stop rocking, stabilise the lower body and to ensure that the feet remain in contact with the mat. Participants should be asked as to how they wish their feet to be secured (held, knelt-on or stood-on).”

https://recruitment.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1954/20150825-pjft_prtc_fitness_protocols-u.pdf

using a wire rather than something solid and weighted holding my feet down in my opinion is what has contributed to me falling short and failing. Also, it says in this PDF that the shoulder blades should touch the floor, not my actual shoulders.. so here is me doing as this PT said doing more than I should have done, with un adequate support for my feet.

I brought this up with my AFCO and waiting on a response. I’ll happily resit it as I’ve no choice, but I’m not happy with it counting as my second attempt and adding another 4 weeks onto my joining process.

That's fair enough to question it, and I never heard of that happening during my time in an AFCO. However, what happened with the actual number of sit-ups? Did you only do 27 in the time? Or more, and some weren't counted?
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
That's fair enough to question it, and I never heard of that happening during my time in an AFCO. However, what happened with the actual number of sit-ups? Did you only do 27 in the time? Or more, and some weren't counted?

I did exactly 27 because I was a mug and pressed the backs of my shoulders (aswell as shoulder blades) against the mat with each rep. Wanted to make sure they all counted.
Reply 7
I did exactly 27 because I was a mug and pressed the backs of my shoulders (aswell as shoulder blades) against the mat with each rep. Wanted to make sure they all counted.

The holding feet part is a legitimate concern, but the counter could be that you still managed 27, the instructor counted 27, you were 2 short. They should also look whether there's been any similar feedback from this gym. As I said, never came across anything like this before, so you'll just have to see what they say. Worst case, it's another 4 weeks, which will be frustrating, but hang in there and best of luck.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Surnia
The holding feet part is a legitimate concern, but the counter could be that you still managed 27, the instructor counted 27, you were 2 short. They should also look whether there's been any similar feedback from this gym. As I said, never came across anything like this before, so you'll just have to see what they say. Worst case, it's another 4 weeks, which will be frustrating, but hang in there and best of luck.

Yeah I told my afco and my recruiter asked me to send an email explaining everything, so that she could forward it. She said it’s unlikely to change the outcome, but may result in the gym being given further training… oops
Yeah I told my afco and my recruiter asked me to send an email explaining everything, so that she could forward it. She said it’s unlikely to change the outcome, but may result in the gym being given further training… oops

In the circumstances may be worth asking if they could arrange it at a different location next time?
Sorry to jump on the thread - just wanted to discuss the PJFT. I just did mine and failed, which isn't the point of my comment - I just worry that the test wasn't what was expected.

Firstly, am I right that the gradient for the run is meant to be zero and not one? I did the run on a 1 gradient - they used the set 'RAF Fitness Test programme' on the treadmill which automatically sets it at one.

Secondly, doing the sit ups - which is what I also failed on (passed the other aspects) I was made to have my back, shoulders and elbows flat - and when I've looked at the videos' - this isn't what is demonstrated. Was I told to do the sit-ups incorrectly?
Original post by LegalOfficerRole
Sorry to jump on the thread - just wanted to discuss the PJFT. I just did mine and failed, which isn't the point of my comment - I just worry that the test wasn't what was expected.

Firstly, am I right that the gradient for the run is meant to be zero and not one? I did the run on a 1 gradient - they used the set 'RAF Fitness Test programme' on the treadmill which automatically sets it at one.

Secondly, doing the sit ups - which is what I also failed on (passed the other aspects) I was made to have my back, shoulders and elbows flat - and when I've looked at the videos' - this isn't what is demonstrated. Was I told to do the sit-ups incorrectly?

Best to report it to your AFCO, to get the official view.
Thanks Surnia,

I’ve sent a message to my recruiter via the portal to ask for their view too, hopefully it’ll get clarified soon.

Just need to know more than anything that I’m prepping correctly for the next time round.
Reply 13
Original post by LegalOfficerRole
Thanks Surnia,

I’ve sent a message to my recruiter via the portal to ask for their view too, hopefully it’ll get clarified soon.

Just need to know more than anything that I’m prepping correctly for the next time round.

I thought the treadmill had to be set at “0” incline. I’ve seen online that it’s suggested to run with a treadmill at “1” as your feet hit the treadmill better and makes it a bit easier. What time did you get for your run?

As for the sit ups, as long as your shoulder blades touch! Elbows flat?

Quick Reply

Latest