The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

UEA vs Uni of Southampton

Hi,
I am torn between two offers - one from UEA in Norwich and one from the Uni of Southampton.
I am aware that Southampton is a RG university which is principally why I initially settled on it, but after weighing up some of the benefits and drawbacks, I am realizing that, for me, Southampton being a RG is the only thing standing out to me.
Most of my family is in Norwich, I have a connection that could get me a part time job, it's in a good location (not miles away from family but far enough away to be able to have my own independent life.)
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for this? UEA seems like a firm choice for me, but I just don't know how I feel about letting a RG uni go.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I am torn between two offers - one from UEA in Norwich and one from the Uni of Southampton.
I am aware that Southampton is a RG university which is principally why I initially settled on it, but after weighing up some of the benefits and drawbacks, I am realizing that, for me, Southampton being a RG is the only thing standing out to me.
Most of my family is in Norwich, I have a connection that could get me a part time job, it's in a good location (not miles away from family but far enough away to be able to have my own independent life.)
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for this? UEA seems like a firm choice for me, but I just don't know how I feel about letting a RG uni go.

I'm in the same boat, i have an offer from a RG uni and UEA. At first i wanted to firm a RG uni as its a RG uni, so it must be good!

But if you look deeper, UEA is actually a very good university in comparison to some RG universities. I got an offer from Newcastle and was very excited but actually, the main benefit of attending that university was mainly just because of the RG status. However its just making that decision to go to a uni with higher reputation and probably higher employability due to that reputation or go to a more convenient uni with more benefits to personal matter.
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by JPF6
I'm in the same boat, i have an offer from a RG uni and UEA. At first i wanted to firm a RG uni as its a RG uni, so it must be good!

But if you look deeper, UEA is actually a very good university in comparison to some RG universities. I got an offer from Newcastle and was very excited but actually, the main benefit of attending that university was mainly just because of the RG status. However its just making that decision to go to a uni with higher reputation and probably higher employability due to that reputation or go to a more convenient uni with more benefits to personal matter.

Thank you for your help, good luck for your uni studies!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Hey!
As a student ambassador for the University of Southampton, I'd be happy to give you some advice on your decision. First of all, I completely understand the appeal of being close to family and having a part-time job lined up. These are definitely important factors to consider when making a decision about where to study.
However, I would also encourage you to think about the long-term benefits of attending a Russell Group university like the University of Southampton. Being part of a prestigious group of universities can open up a lot of doors for you in terms of future career opportunities and networking. Plus, the University of Southampton has a strong reputation for academic excellence, which can be a big advantage when it comes to postgraduate study or entering the job market.
That being said, I don't want to downplay the importance of feeling comfortable and supported in your new environment. If you feel like UEA would be a better fit for you personally, then that's definitely something to take into consideration.
Ultimately, the decision comes down to what you value most in a university experience. If you prioritize the academic reputation and prestige of the institution, then the University of Southampton might be the better choice for you. But if you value being close to family and having a sense of familiarity, then UEA might be the way to go. I hope that helps! Remember, at the end of the day, both universities are great choices and you can't really go wrong either way. Good luck with your decision!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending