The Student Room Group

What should I be doing to get Distinctions in my Access to HE?

I'm done 1/4 of my access course in social work, I completed the first graded unit and got a pass, and I'm very worried I'll not get enough distinctions to not enter the university.

We were told that we would only be allowed to give our tutor one draft per assignment, and this now has me worried about getting distinctions. I really need to get it right the first time as we can't resubmit for a higher grade. The tutor can't even tell us what kind of grade the draft will get, only if it has the criteria needed to pass.

Apart from hitting the assignment criteria to pass, what can I do to make sure I get distinctions? I know I can do it and I really don't want to end up not getting it because I did something stupid or didn't include enough detail on something when I could have done so.

If anyone has any relevant experience with an Access course (in Social Work preferably but any would be great) would it be okay if I PM'd you an assignment brief to just so you could explain how you would generally go about it when trying to get a distinction?

Thanks a lot.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by andrea.cmar
I'm done 1/4 of my access course in social work, I completed the first graded unit and got a pass, and I'm very worried I'll not get enough distinctions to not enter the university.

We were told that we would only be allowed to give our tutor one draft per assignment, and this now has me worried about getting distinctions. I really need to get it right the first time as we can't resubmit for a higher grade. The tutor can't even tell us what kind of grade the draft will get, only if it has the criteria needed to pass.

Apart from hitting the assignment criteria to pass, what can I do to make sure I get distinctions? I know I can do it and I really don't want to end up not getting it because I did something stupid or didn't include enough detail on something when I could have done so.

If anyone has any relevant experience with an Access course (in Social Work preferably but any would be great) would it be okay if I PM'd you an assignment brief to just so you could explain how you would generally go about it when trying to get a distinction?

Thanks a lot.

My experience is in science as opposed to social work.

Your unit outline will specify what the grade descriptors are. So long you tick every single box and provide ample evidence to meet all the criteria for all descriptors, you should get distinctions.

I don't know what the descriptors are since I don't have copies of your unit outline.

I would have a copy of the unit outline and check that I have thoroughly met the crtieria after each draft for each piece of coursework.

For exams, I would revise as much as I can, looking through the recommended material as well (in depth), as well as checking that I have followed the specification to the letter. If there are certain objectives set out in the unit, you can be sure there would be exam questions on them.

In any access course, there would be 15 ungraded credits and 45 graded credits. The units with the ungraded credits are there to:

Warm you up for the graded units

Allow you to have test runs with the material and see if you get what you need to do (good for feedback)

Train you to think and work in a particular way for the graded material.

The minimum grades to get onto certain courses is 45 Passes, which is very very low. Unless you are a terrible student, you can score higher than just striaght passes. It's rare for a degree course to ask for you 45 distinctions (I know of only 1 university that does, but possibly 2 - you can guess what these are). The average is roughly 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits.

I don't know what the grades you need for the specific degree that you want to do, but it's worth checking the entry requirements for those specific courses first.
Reply 2

Thanks a lot.

Hi Andrea

I'm currently coming towards the end of my access course too. Mine is in social sciences so not dissimular, at one point my aim was to go on and study social work.
Really hate to sound cocky but so far I have acheieved all distinctions, I have some free time/procrastinating and would happily look over your work. I would have pmed you but apparently I a not "established" enough yet on TSR to do that. I'd also need the assesment critera for reference. Feel to pm me, either way best of luck for the rest of your course.
Rosie

Thanks a lot.

@andrea.cmar
Hi

I've taught on an Access to HE program for 10 years, usually on the Nursing and Midwifery Pathway but I have taught some social workers too.

Firstly, look at the first word of each assignment criteria. If it is 'describe' then not as much detail is needed. If it is 'analyse' then more detail is needed

Secondly, further reading is very important. In order to get a distinction you need to demonstrate BREADTH (the amount of further reading) and DEPTH (the way it is used to add to arguments - this might be statistical evidence or quotes).

Thirdly, linked to the previous point, Harvard referencing is crucial as this helps you demonstrate the breadth and depth. This is also important for progression onto Higher Education.

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar is also very important

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending