The Student Room Group

Really like my psychiatrist

She's not a haughty doctor. I just met my new psychiatrist and I like her. She is very caring and trustworthy and down to earth. I will only see her or another psychiatrist once a year. Basically I'm wondering if it's ok to contact her outside of work as I really liked her.
It's important for both doctor and patient to have boundaries during treatment - it would be probably not be appropriate for her to develop a social relationship with you while you are being treated by her, and she may be uncomfortable with you not respecting the doctor-patient boundary by contacting her outside of work (and end up having to refer you to another a psychiatrist potentially for treatment as well).

Would not recommend.
This is a sticky one. She's your psychiatrist. It's unprofessional and I'm sure she wouldn't even be allowed to reply (even if she wanted to) unless you were not her patient anymore. And you'd have to refer to someone else if this happened.
You've told her things. You've been vulnerable and opened up about things. You like her because you've been vulnerable and in love, you open up to your significant other.
Original post by Anonymous
She's not a haughty doctor. I just met my new psychiatrist and I like her. She is very caring and trustworthy and down to earth. I will only see her or another psychiatrist once a year. Basically I'm wondering if it's ok to contact her outside of work as I really liked her.

No. But perhaps you can ask her for more regular appointments?
This is a sticky one. She's your psychiatrist. It's unprofessional and I'm sure she wouldn't even be allowed to reply (even if she wanted to) unless you were not her patient anymore. And you'd have to refer to someone else if this happened.
You've told her things. You've been vulnerable and opened up about things. You like her because you've been vulnerable and in love, you open up to your significant other.

There's a strong possibility she won't be my doctor much longer.

If your approach is going to be "I stopped my treatment with you so that we could hang out/date/etc" that is probably going to go down like a lead balloon, just FYI
Original post by artful_lounger
PRSOM :smile:

You're unfortunately on PRSOM for me too :emo:

I had to find these guidelines for someone at my workplace, so knew how to find them :colondollar:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You're unfortunately on PRSOM for me too :emo:

I had to find these guidelines for someone at my workplace, so knew how to find them :colondollar:

Yeah I figured there'd be something like that in writing somewhere! :redface:

Fair enough. But what I wrote about you liking her makes sense. Do you agree with that?
And let me ask you this...
During your sessions with her, has she made any advances toward you? Has she done anything that has shown you she could possibly be interested in you? If so, what?
This is normal upon meeting a new psychiatrist who is good at their job. Look up "transference". This is something you could potentionally talk through with her as a means to understanding why you have become immediately attached to someone showing you kindness.

Remember though that it is her job to show empathy and be understanding. It is not a romantic connection and it cannot become one.
Fair enough. But what I wrote about you liking her makes sense. Do you agree with that?
And let me ask you this...
During your sessions with her, has she made any advances toward you? Has she done anything that has shown you she could possibly be interested in you? If so, what?

No we only just met. It is the person as I have had previous psychiatrists who were female who I couldn't get on with even though they did their job. I don't have lust for her or anything she's just likeable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending