The Student Room Group

PhD Studentship Application Decision

I'm considering applying for a PhD studentship next month in Psychology. I have a high 2.1 in Psychology undergrad and I'm on track for a distinction in my Psychology research masters. The studentship is for a project advertised by my current masters research supervisor which is really similar to the dissertation I'm currently working on for my masters, so she suggested I apply for it if I'm interested as I'll already be familiar with the topic and methods.

I'm still debating whether or not to apply but need to make a decision soon as the deadline is in a month. I think I'm worried that I won't stand a chance of getting it due to not having a first at undergrad and only having limited experience outside of uni (I have completed one psychology internship in an unrelated area during undergrad, volunteered as an OCD peer support group volunteer, and have just accepted an internship offer for research role in a different department of the uni). I also have to provide 2 references which I think I may struggle with as they both need to be academic. I completed my undergrad nearly 5 years ago now so I'm not sure if my supervisor would remember me enough to write a good reference, and I know my current supervisor would write me a good one but the studentship is for her project so I doubt that would work. The only other person I can think to ask is the supervisor i had for my psychology internship, but I'll still need one more.

I only really want to do a PhD at my current uni as I have just bought a home so it would be a really good opportunity, I have just heard about how competitive it can be so I'm not sure if the issues I've mentioned above would hold me back too much. I'm also not sure how the selection process works as the project is funded by the SPCR research council but it would be working with my current supervisor, so not sure how much say she would have over the selection. Do you think I stand a chance of getting the studentship if I apply? and is it appropriate to speak to my current supervisor about my concerns and ask for help with the research proposal etc?
I would say to go for it.

If you want to do a phd, have the passion and interest and willing to commit to all a phd needs then why not?

Funding, especially at phd level, is always competitive, there’s nothing you can do about that. But for phds, you have research experience, in the topic area and it’s building on work you’re doing already. That a big positive in your favour.

Look at the criteria, and make the best case you can in these areas. At its basics, it’s showing knowledge, interest, passion and where this phd will fit in the bigger picture.

Having your current supervisor, and who’ll be overseeing the phd is in your favour. The ultimate decision will likely be made by a panel, but having someone make the case for you goes some way.

I’m currently up for a school-wide studentship funding (politics, so slightly different) and needed referees for my phd application. These were my supervisors I hadn’t been in contact with for years, I just sent a polite email and they asked to see my proposal and CV to be able to feel comfortable recommending me essentially to colleagues that I could do a phd. I have a 2:1 as well, and a merit in my masters so not incredibly academically strong. I have work experience around research, but not directly and not in the area of my proposal. I might not get it, (only two people in the wider school can) but it’s at least going to the panel. I’ve not lost anything more than the time to write, and can say I had a go at it.

Ultimately, what have you got to lose? Some time into writing the application etc and if you don’t get it, no harm no foul. Can always try again another time but definitely put the strongest case forward. Be confident and strong in yourself and your abilities, and that will come through in the application. talk it through with your supervisor , who’ll be able to give guidance and pointers but remember, they can’t do it for you. Also, only do it if you really really want to do the phd, are really interested, are willing to commit as needed to making it as successful as you want it to be. You’ve got a stronger case than you might think.
Original post by jh993
I'm considering applying for a PhD studentship next month in Psychology. I have a high 2.1 in Psychology undergrad and I'm on track for a distinction in my Psychology research masters. The studentship is for a project advertised by my current masters research supervisor which is really similar to the dissertation I'm currently working on for my masters, so she suggested I apply for it if I'm interested as I'll already be familiar with the topic and methods.

I'm still debating whether or not to apply but need to make a decision soon as the deadline is in a month. I think I'm worried that I won't stand a chance of getting it due to not having a first at undergrad and only having limited experience outside of uni (I have completed one psychology internship in an unrelated area during undergrad, volunteered as an OCD peer support group volunteer, and have just accepted an internship offer for research role in a different department of the uni). I also have to provide 2 references which I think I may struggle with as they both need to be academic. I completed my undergrad nearly 5 years ago now so I'm not sure if my supervisor would remember me enough to write a good reference, and I know my current supervisor would write me a good one but the studentship is for her project so I doubt that would work. The only other person I can think to ask is the supervisor i had for my psychology internship, but I'll still need one more.

I only really want to do a PhD at my current uni as I have just bought a home so it would be a really good opportunity, I have just heard about how competitive it can be so I'm not sure if the issues I've mentioned above would hold me back too much. I'm also not sure how the selection process works as the project is funded by the SPCR research council but it would be working with my current supervisor, so not sure how much say she would have over the selection. Do you think I stand a chance of getting the studentship if I apply? and is it appropriate to speak to my current supervisor about my concerns and ask for help with the research proposal etc?

Hi there,

Deciding to do a PhD is a big decision, so it is a great idea to talk to your supervisor about what a PhD requires, the expectations, what your needs would be and what your career aspirations are. I had this kind of conversation with my supervisor during my thesis project before starting a PhD, and he gave me really good insight into the major factors to consider, and eased a lot of my doubts. If your supervisor is a good manager, they will be able to advise on what is best for you, not just pushing their own interests (usually academic research careers) onto those in their lab. This is also a great time to talk about what the application process will look like, and any concerns or thoughts you have about the project or studentship.
Working with the person who is advertising the project is also a huge advantage. You already know their management style, and whether the culture or group environment is something that suits you. Finding a good supervisor is usually the most important factor in making the most of a PhD, so don’t underestimate this!

As for the actual application, it sounds like you are downplaying a lot of your experience. Try to think about what skills and what you learned from each experience, rather than what is different. Your internship may not have been in the same area as this PhD project, but usually you will still learn many transferable skills. Did you have any hand in directing or designing the work? Did you effectively communicate your findings or progress at the end of the internship, either in writing or orally? Did you learn to work as part of a team? All of these kinds of things are hugely relevant.
This can also apply to things outside psychology. I worked as a pensions administrator, very different from my biology research! But it did teach me how to handle large amounts of data, and communicating stats to non-expert audiences. This is just an example, but don’t under sell yourself.

As for the references, I can’t understate how typical it is for those in teaching positions to be asked for references. You can 100% send an email to an old lecturer/supervisor from your undergrad and ask for a reference. If you think they will not remember you, just remind them in the email with something along the lines of “I completed my undergraduate thesis project in your lab in 2016, titled ‘XXX’. It was such a valuable experience, and I have continued to work in this area and am currently applying for a PhD project in psychology. Would it be possible to use you as an academic reference in this application?’ The worst they can say is no, there will be no hard feelings!
You can also speak to your supervisor about finding references. Since they may not be an appropriate reference for their own project, they might be able to suggest someone in the department who has had contact with you, or has knowledge of the project, who could supply one based on your MRes work.

Best of luck, whether you decide to apply or not!
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending