The Student Room Group

Can I go from C in paper 2 chemistry to A in 10 weeks?

I am taking biology, chemistry, and psychology. I am doing okay for paper 1 and 2 in biology, and psychology should also be okay provided I take in the content.

For paper 1 chemistry I am also at an A, but for paper 2 I am still stuck on C. I intend to keep going over past papers until I slowly pick up on patterns and details, but is this enough time to get from C to A?
Original post by Nighthawk01
I am taking biology, chemistry, and psychology. I am doing okay for paper 1 and 2 in biology, and psychology should also be okay provided I take in the content.

For paper 1 chemistry I am also at an A, but for paper 2 I am still stuck on C. I intend to keep going over past papers until I slowly pick up on patterns and details, but is this enough time to get from C to A?

Paper 2 is almost always 70% mechanisms and reagents + conditions. These are usually in the form of synthesis maps, filling in boxes, naming what type of reaction it is or even doing the whole mechanism yourself.
Original post by JA03
Paper 2 is almost always 70% mechanisms and reagents + conditions. These are usually in the form of synthesis maps, filling in boxes, naming what type of reaction it is or even doing the whole mechanism yourself.

I am excellent at mechanisms. My weakness is physical chemistry such as rates and NMR although I am ever slowly improving with those. I'm also quite bad with drawing graphs and plotting things, especially with rates and Arrhenius.

6 markers are usually also my weaker side. And I have almost no ability to answer practical questions, but we haven't really gone through them properly with the tutor yet. Our tutor says he is going to go through all of the chemistry and biology practical questions over the Easter holidays, and assures us that there's nothing complicated about them and to focus on revising everything else for now.

Do you have any advice or 'hacks' beyond obviously going over past papers over and over?
Original post by Nighthawk01
I am excellent at mechanisms. My weakness is physical chemistry such as rates and NMR although I am ever slowly improving with those. I'm also quite bad with drawing graphs and plotting things, especially with rates and Arrhenius.

6 markers are usually also my weaker side. And I have almost no ability to answer practical questions, but we haven't really gone through them properly with the tutor yet. Our tutor says he is going to go through all of the chemistry and biology practical questions over the Easter holidays, and assures us that there's nothing complicated about them and to focus on revising everything else for now.

Do you have any advice or 'hacks' beyond obviously going over past papers over and over?

Hacks. When in doubt (for reagents + conditions) always write concentrated sulfuric acid + reflux.

If you want, you can always post any questions you’re unsure of into the A-Level Chemistry study group (I’ll send in a link as soon as I have access to my laptop) or you can send some on this thread and tag me and I’ll see where I can help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending