The Student Room Group

Should I take economics a level?

I'm currently considering taking economics at a level but I just want to be sure it is right for me. If anyone could please give a general overview and just the answers to some of my questions it would be very helpful.

What is the workload like?
Is there a lot of maths involved?
What are the exams like - questions, marks etc?
Is it interesting?
IMO: not a huge workload but u need to know the exam board and mark schemes pretty well as they can be really specific
much less maths than people originally think, nothing u cant do w a calculator
It's an essay-based subject so the exams typically have the format of longer written questions with an essay at the end
YEAH, can deffo say its interesting and also its v broad, now applying for it at uni
Original post by dylanoc1
IMO: not a huge workload but u need to know the exam board and mark schemes pretty well as they can be really specific
much less maths than people originally think, nothing u cant do w a calculator
It's an essay-based subject so the exams typically have the format of longer written questions with an essay at the end
YEAH, can deffo say its interesting and also its v broad, now applying for it at uni

Thank you!
Original post by munchypoosticks
Thank you!

Lmk if u have any more questions
Original post by dylanoc1
Lmk if u have any more questions

Just one so far, i know we might have different exam boards (mine would be aqa) but what sort of things do you acc learn abt?
Original post by munchypoosticks
I'm currently considering taking economics at a level but I just want to be sure it is right for me. If anyone could please give a general overview and just the answers to some of my questions it would be very helpful.

What is the workload like?
Is there a lot of maths involved?
What are the exams like - questions, marks etc?
Is it interesting?

Heya!
Economics is a very heavy essay-based subject with big essay questions. You will cover micro- and macro-economics. Personally, I found the subject very interesting and it used a lot of real-world cases and it's generally useful knowledge :smile: However, if you want to do economics in the future then you would need maths alvl ( you don't necessarily need economics alvl). If it helps, check out Study Mind economics past papers to get an idea of what the format of questions is!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest