The Student Room Group

Undergraduate Nursing as a graduate?

Hi!

Is is possible to apply to undergraduate nursing as a graduate or should I apply for pre registration to nursing? I know you are able to get the bursary for funding and that you do not need 300-700 hours of experience to apply to undergrad?

I am currently in the 2nd year of my bio degree and have thought about applying so was either going to take a gap year after my degree to get experience and apply for grad entry or go straight into the 3 year course. What would people advise for this? I know it won’t make a difference in the long run but would love to hear peoples opinions! Thanks :smile:)
Original post by juniper_542
Hi!

Is is possible to apply to undergraduate nursing as a graduate or should I apply for pre registration to nursing? I know you are able to get the bursary for funding and that you do not need 300-700 hours of experience to apply to undergrad?

I am currently in the 2nd year of my bio degree and have thought about applying so was either going to take a gap year after my degree to get experience and apply for grad entry or go straight into the 3 year course. What would people advise for this? I know it won’t make a difference in the long run but would love to hear peoples opinions! Thanks :smile:)

Hello,

I hope you’re well :smile:
I’m sure you can apply straight to undergraduate nursing degree as long as your pre-existing qualifications meet their entry requirements! In terms of funding and hours of experience required for that, I am not sure!

Gaining experience would be so beneficial and a good way for you to gain some insight on what’s required, even if you just volunteer at your local hospital. At the same time, experience is not 100% necessary but just desirable if that makes sense - I’m sure you would enjoy it though! If you double check with your prospective universities if experience is required though, maybe that would be best!

It may be in your best interests to take a gap year in general just so you can have some time out from uni, because whilst nursing can be rewarding, it is also tough and quite demanding. Whatever works best for you though :smile:

Best of luck,

Jade
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
3rd Year Student Midwife

Undergraduate nursing is pre-registration nursing. No, you don't need any experience whatsoever for this. You need to be eligible for student finance to get the bursary - you'd definitely get it for a nursing pre-registration master's, but check with SFE if you'd qualify for this for undergrad pre-reg nursing.

I did the 3 year undergrad nursing, having previously done a completely unrelated degree then 2.5 years working at my local hospital. I personally found it beneficial having 3 years to complete everything possible.
As for the pre reg masters' students... yes universities need you to have so many hours' clinical experience prior to starting, yes it's a year shorter, yes it's level 7 (masters level). In 3.5 years of qualifying, most of the pre registration masters' students are more stressed when they arrive on the first placement of first year because they're expected to arrive working at the same level as a 2nd year pre registration undergraduate student. That's just what I've noticed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending