The Student Room Group

Computer Science opportunities

I am a year 12 student who is interested in studying computer science at oxbridge or other high tier russell group universities. I was wondering if you had any Computer Science/Mathematics related supercurriculars you could share with me please. I am super desparate :frown:
Okay, important things to take into consideration:
Supercirriculars can only go on your personal statement, your personal statement is to show your passionate about the course. Look into the course material, it'll help you find out what your universities are looking for in a candidate. As a physics student I found people telling me to "read books" very unhelpful because you don't have the word count in your personal statement to put down a lot of books. Find a topic on the course that you're very interested in, research that in particular and in detail, and mention that in your personal statement, that'll be helpful later on especially as an icebreaker in an interview (which is why it should be something you enjoy because chances are you'll have to talk about it), obviously we're not applying for the same thing, but I'm an offer holder for Natural Sciences at Durham for Physics and Computer Science, but I haven't done Compsci at GCSE or at A-Level, in my ps, I talked about my love for programming models and researching languages outside of the course and they seemed to like that. I never did an Olympiad but at the Oxford open day, someone asked a question about whether to put that they got a gold in the physics olympiad in his ps and the professor practically started frothing at the mouth, its not something I know a lot about, but that may be something to look into! That's about everything I've picked up as a very stressed, very burned out Year 13 in STEM :smile:
Original post by TectalR95
I am a year 12 student who is interested in studying computer science at oxbridge or other high tier russell group universities. I was wondering if you had any Computer Science/Mathematics related supercurriculars you could share with me please. I am super desparate :frown:

Hi! I'm in my final year as a Computer Science student and I joined a couple of hackathons, did a small coding camp my school offered over the holidays, and had a few of my own coding projects. If you want to do your own, starting off with free courses may help. Websites like freeCodeCamp work very well. For those practical extracurriculars, talk about the skills you learned and how they're related to CS. Even including a related documentary or book in your personal statement may help too if you've got some words to spare. For those, I talked about specific areas that the book touched on to show specifically what sub-area of CS I was interested in at the time.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending