The Student Room Group

Degree classification

Does anyone know if Uni of Nottingham apply a best of grades average for degree classification ? thanks
Original post by Londongcse
Does anyone know if Uni of Nottingham apply a best of grades average for degree classification ? thanks

See the "Arithmetic mean model" section of their "Undergraduate degree classification from September 2020" page, here.

It suggests that other than they weighting between first, second and third year (which can vary by course), there is no concept of a "best of grades average". Instead, they appear to take an average across all module scores, weighted by the module credit value.

This is what they say:

"1. Unit marks (see footnote 1 in the All awards section) are numeric.

2. Module mark is calculated from unit marks and rounded to a numeric integer

3. Module marks are weighted accordingly to the number of credits attached to the module - for example, a 20 credit module is weighted double compared to a 10 credit module.

4. The relative weightings of Part I/II/III marks are given in programme specifications.

5. A weighted numerical average is calculated using the weightings indicated in 3 and 4 above.

6. The weighted numerical average is rounded. For more information, please consult the following:
Policy on marking and grading

7. Weighted numerical average is translated into degree classification according to Table 1.

Table 1
I = 70%+
II-1 = 60% - 69%
II-2 = 50% - 59%
III = 40% - 49%
Pass = 40%+ (which can include reassessment marks from Parts I/II/III)

* that is, an unclassified degree and therefore awarded without honours.

Only the following rounded marks will be regarded as “borderline”:

69 Borderline I
59 Borderline II-1
49 Borderline II-2
At the III/Fail boundary there is no borderline."
Reply 2
thankyou for that
do you know if the uni will
consider extenuating circumstances in classification process -i have read through regs but unable to find anything that states this
Original post by Londongcse
thankyou for that
do you know if the uni will
consider extenuating circumstances in classification process -i have read through regs but unable to find anything that states this

There is no indication they they will, no.
Reply 4
ok thanks for looking at this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending