The Student Room Group

Making friends in year 11

I’m about halfway through year 11.
From day one, I was quite introverted and ended up making friends with a group of girls (I’m a guy) who I quickly realised in year 8 weren’t my type of people as they talk about girly stuff I’m not interested in, never understand me and treat me like _. Plus I feel like I can never speak as they’ll just go all controversial and criticise me.

I came back from a trip abroad about halfway through year 11 and made friends with a guy who I knew before at school but we were mutual. Long story short he was really friendly and made me feel better about myself unlike the girls I’m currently trapped with and I feel like I knew him for years.
I want to join his group of friends but I don’t want to feel pushy and completely bombard him and his mates just because I’m practically a loner.
It’s weird because he’s the type of guy I want to be friends with but don’t know how to join his group.
I don’t feel introverted when I’m talking to him and it feels like I’m talking to a brother or family.

I’m done with the girls now, and I feel like I can finally start fresh but is it too late?
Would the lads have already made friends and aren’t looking for a new guy?
Cheers for any responses.
if his friends are nice people, they will surely let you in their group. try talking to them and getting closer with them as well as the guy, you will get the hint whether they like you or not if they start calling you for their plans or meetups. its never too late to make good friends
Hi, it’s never to late to make new friends, if this guy and his friends are decent then why not approach them and get to know them, what’s the worst that could happen? You never know you may have found friends for life and if the people you are currently friends with aren’t worth it then move on there always more people out there. What are your plans for after year 11?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I’m about halfway through year 11.
From day one, I was quite introverted and ended up making friends with a group of girls (I’m a guy) who I quickly realised in year 8 weren’t my type of people as they talk about girly stuff I’m not interested in, never understand me and treat me like _. Plus I feel like I can never speak as they’ll just go all controversial and criticise me.

I came back from a trip abroad about halfway through year 11 and made friends with a guy who I knew before at school but we were mutual. Long story short he was really friendly and made me feel better about myself unlike the girls I’m currently trapped with and I feel like I knew him for years.
I want to join his group of friends but I don’t want to feel pushy and completely bombard him and his mates just because I’m practically a loner.
It’s weird because he’s the type of guy I want to be friends with but don’t know how to join his group.
I don’t feel introverted when I’m talking to him and it feels like I’m talking to a brother or family.

I’m done with the girls now, and I feel like I can finally start fresh but is it too late?
Would the lads have already made friends and aren’t looking for a new guy?
Cheers for any responses.

Ur overthinking it. Ur not a loser and they prob won't care. Like what are you scared of? Either you gain a group of great friends and have loads of fun or they just don't like you and that's fine and it's not personal, they just weren't your crowd. Move on to the next crowd. But take more pride in yourself as a person okay?
Original post by akaeli
Ur overthinking it. Ur not a loser and they prob won't care. Like what are you scared of? Either you gain a group of great friends and have loads of fun or they just don't like you and that's fine and it's not personal, they just weren't your crowd. Move on to the next crowd. But take more pride in yourself as a person okay?

Cheers and I appreciate your response.

I get the fact they aren’t obliged to befriend me and I’m not expecting to gain their friendship overnight.
Thing is if they turn me away, they’d know I don’t have anyone else to go to and would see me as the loner. I don’t have a great reputation as is so if they can see past whatever rumours there are maybe I’ll be alright?

It’s not ideal but I guess spending the rest of the year by myself tucked somewhere can’t be too bad? I don’t have the pain and stress of my previous friend group and can focus on my studies.
It’ll just be damn right lonely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending