The Student Room Group

Let’s know each other

Hi guys/girls….

What uni r u in?
Original post by Faizalov
Hi guys/girls….

What uni r u in?

Hi! How's life treating you?

I've been to two universities in the past but now I'm planning to start my bachelor's this September. What about you?
Reply 2
Original post by Meheraj
Hi! How's life treating you?

I've been to two universities in the past but now I'm planning to start my bachelor's this September. What about you?

Same thing here, I will start bachelor this Sep, but unsure between UWE Bristol and Sheffield Hallam....
Reply 3
Hope you guys have a great time on your bachelors be sure to get to know staff and your other course members!
Same thing here, I will start bachelor this Sep, but unsure between UWE Bristol and Sheffield Hallam....

I've applied for both, but for different courses. I reckon both of them are pretty nice cities that also have huge student communities. Overall ranking-wise, both universities are almost on the same page, though of course reputation matters. Are you an international student? Have you received the offer letter? What's your course of study?
Original post by XenK12
Hope you guys have a great time on your bachelors be sure to get to know staff and your other course members!

Thanks for your beautiful words! Are you from any of those cities?
Reply 6
Original post by Meheraj
Thanks for your beautiful words! Are you from any of those cities?

Unfortunately not so I can't really give you any advice on the universities there etc I am however in my second year of a degree so feel free to message me if you need any advice etc
Reply 7
Original post by XenK12

Thank you for your advice, Xen!

What course are you studying?
Reply 8
Original post by Meheraj
I've applied for both, but for different courses. I reckon both of them are pretty nice cities that also have huge student communities. Overall ranking-wise, both universities are almost on the same page, though of course reputation matters. Are you an international student? Have you received the offer letter? What's your course of study?

Yes, I'm an international student. I'm still waiting for offers approval. I found online some says that Sheffield Hallam HQ is old, and you can easily get lost in it, not sure, do you know anything about it?
Yes, I'm an international student. I'm still waiting for offers approval. I found online some says that Sheffield Hallam HQ is old, and you can easily get lost in it, not sure, do you know anything about it?

Okay, great! So am I. I'm also waiting for the offers. They're maybe taking a bit of time for international students.

I don't think City Campus is too old, but Collegiate Campus is.

Sheffield is one of the biggest cities in the UK. So, it would be a bit difficult to understand everything in the first phase. But don't worry. When one gets used to it, it won't be an issue. Oh, I've got a friend who's currently studying there. I'll ask him. I haven't asked him yet 'cos there's no certainty of getting an offer. If you want, we can be in touch with each other. I'll let you know if I get the offer. If you do, you can also do the same.

By the way, where are you from?

Hey there @Faizalov !
Sheffield Hallam has two campuses, City Campus and Collegiate Campus. City Campus is very new and modern and theres many different buildings depending on degrees. For example, we have the Charles Street building which is for the department of education. We also have the Cantor building which is mainly for the department of Media and Communications. As we speak, they are currently building new university buildings close to the ones on main campus and these should be completed within the next couple of years. They will each have their own department that they belong to as well. The uni buildings on city campus are lovely, most of them have lifts between each floor and the majority have a cafe downstairs or a vending machine of some sorts. The room numbers are very easy to work around.

Collegiate Campus is located on Ecclesall Road which will be more useful to you in second year. Theres a library, Collegiate gym and many other university buildings. At present you find that law, business and sports courses will usually have at least one session there a week. However there is many bus links to it if you live in the centre and they're really cheap and come often. This is not true for every law, business and sports course though and it will state on your course information where you're most likely to be located. This can help when choosing accommodation as a couple of them are closer to Ecclesall Road than others. To find out where your course is located please refer to: www.shu.ac.uk/courses

Collegiate as a whole does have that more old-fashioned vibe to it, however you get the exact same facilities as you would on main campus. It's just a little bit smaller so it's not that hard to work around.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any more questions.
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest