The Student Room Group

Fully funded scholarship

Can any international student who received a fully funded scholarship for a master's programme in the UK please share their experience?

Did the scholarship help reduce the stress of having to think about financial sustenance while maintaining academic excellence? Did you take up a part-time job still? Any information on the experience would help.
Hi, I did receive a fully funded scholarship for a master's in the UK a couple of years ago. The scholarship certainly helped reduce the stress of having to worry about finances. In my case, I wouldn't have imagined studying in the UK without that scholarship as I come from a not so privileged background. Also, my master's was in a humanities stream, so the expected rate of return was much lower. A loan was therefore out of question.

The scholarship allowed me to focus entirely on my studies and since I also had to routinely report to my sponsors, this helped to monitor my progress and maintain academic excellence. Also, the scholarship gave me ample opportunities to network with the right people and take part in events/ trainings and other opportunities not otherwise accessible.

And yes, you can certainly work alongside your studies but that'll be part time during term time (20 hours/ week) and full time during holidays. I did sign up for some work opportunities but since I was not dependent on it, I did not take up any employment. I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your applications and funding!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending