The Student Room Group

Independent study hours: not sure how possible?

So I am aiming to start my final year at uni on the right foot, already time all the academic work I do, and thought I would use the institution's recommended study hours as a guide to make sure I reach my potential: that's (total number of credits * 10) - teaching hours, which for me comes down to... 1070 hours of independent study in final year?? I'm doing languages and linguistics. I can see myself spending, eg, the recommended 300 hours on my diss (it's 30 credits), possibly the total number on my language modules IF I count the general novel reading practice I do outside of uni anyway, and MAYBE somewhere in the region of 130h for a ling course that's supposed to be a long-term group project.

BUT... Has anyone, ever, actually spent a total of 130h in independent study for a standard, non-Oxbridge, humanities module? Like something where you'll have a few papers or chapters to read before the seminar, maybe a lit review, then an essay of like 3000 words, no formal exam? In 2nd year I did all of this plus extra reading in classes where I got a first and still can't imagine how I would have hit 130 hours overall. Are my uni being out of line in granting 15 credits to such a comparatively small workload or am I missing something big?

I think I averaged a high 2:1 last year but I'm not doing this for grades, I don't want to leave uni without feeling like I've actually got the most out of my education... And sometimes I feel that I am leaning very little from some modules. If anyone has input about how much extra work they put in for a humanities degree + what the background reading process is like for them, I'd appreciate it!
Hey!
As a student ambassador, I completely understand where you're coming from. It's great that you're aiming to start your final year on the right foot and take control of your academic workload. It's always a good idea to have a plan in place for independent study, and it sounds like you're on the right track with using your institution's recommended study hours as a guide.
That being said, I can also understand your concerns about the amount of independent study recommended for some of your modules. It can be difficult to gauge exactly how much time you should be spending on each module, and it's true that some humanities modules might not require as much independent study as others. In terms of your specific question about whether anyone has ever spent 130 hours on a standard humanities module, I can't speak for everyone, but personally, I've found that the amount of independent study required for each module can vary quite a bit. Some modules might require a lot of extra reading and research, while others might be more focused on seminar discussions and essay writing. It really depends on the specific module and the teaching style of the lecturer.
In terms of background reading, again, this can vary depending on the module. Some lecturers might provide a reading list with required texts, while others might expect you to do more independent research and find your own sources. It's always a good idea to talk to your lecturers and ask for advice on how to approach the module and what kind of background reading they would recommend.
Overall, I think it's great that you're taking your education seriously and looking for ways to get the most out of your final year. Don't be afraid to ask for help and guidance from your lecturers and peers, and remember that everyone's experience is different. Good luck with your studies!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending