The Student Room Group

guided independent study

what does guided independent study mean? im going through my firm uni's courses and a bunch of the hours is spent on that and i was wondering what it meant
Hey there,

Guided independent study refers to the time you spend studying on your own, but with a general direction given by your teachers. This could involve reading, researching, writing essays, working on projects, or revising for exams. It's a key part of university learning as it allows you to deepen your understanding of the course content and develop important skills like critical thinking and self-discipline.

Best regards,
Ilya
Original post by Anonymous #1
what does guided independent study mean? im going through my firm uni's courses and a bunch of the hours is spent on that and i was wondering what it meant

Good Morning 🙂

Guided independent study means that the university will give you resources/ aid, and you have to use them as part of your studying. This is done to foster the independence that is needed in higher education, and is usually through core readings.

Although many assume that it means no interaction with your professors - this is far from the truth.

Kindly,
Iris - a third year Politics student at City, University of London

Might also be worth adding on that you'll find at the majority of universities, if you're studying a traditional degree course that this will make up most of your time at uni. You'll have dedicated contact time, which will depend on your course whether it's lectures, seminars, lab sessions etc where you're with tutors and can ask questions and they'll deliver taught content.

Others have already give a good explanation as to what this is but just thought I'd give some of additional context from my own experience.

James - Teesside University
Hi there,

It usually just means like doing work in your own time that has been set or "guided" by lecturers. So they might set some reading or exam questions etc.

Hi there,

I do think it is university dependent. I know at my uni some people did stay at accommodation in their second year but I think it does change uni to uni.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Hi @Anonymous #1,

Guided independent study in my course is the hours they expect you to study outside lessons. Each year the hours spent in lessons decrease and the hours you are expected to study on your increase. In my experience, I study a few hours each week to do the recommended reading and work on assignments. There is also further reading to do if you want to.

Even though the university might set a guideline on how many hours of study you might do in a year, it is a guide. Some work faster than others so it varies between people. I try to stay on top of my work without tracking the hours.

If you want to know how many independent study hours you are recommended to do a week, I will divide the total by the weeks spent at the university.

Do you do independent study during free periods at college/sixth form? It is very similar 🙂

Hristiana (Kingston rep)
1st year Mental Health Nursing student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending