The Student Room Group

Exams interfering with Camp America plans

I'm doing my AS levels this year but I really want to work in an American summer camp in the summer of 2024. I will use an agency like Americamp or Camp America but I see that most camps would require you to be in America by the 20th of June to start the orientation for staff, but I am looking at the end dates of the A2 exams this year so I can get an idea of the times that I will be available and there are some exams that I will have to take next year that are being sat as late as the 28th of June. Has anyone else been able to work at an American summer camp after their A2 exams? If so, what was your experience at planning it before you even knew your exam time table and have they made exceptions if you are only available after the date by a few days?
Original post by madelyn.
I'm doing my AS levels this year but I really want to work in an American summer camp in the summer of 2024. I will use an agency like Americamp or Camp America but I see that most camps would require you to be in America by the 20th of June to start the orientation for staff, but I am looking at the end dates of the A2 exams this year so I can get an idea of the times that I will be available and there are some exams that I will have to take next year that are being sat as late as the 28th of June. Has anyone else been able to work at an American summer camp after their A2 exams? If so, what was your experience at planning it before you even knew your exam time table and have they made exceptions if you are only available after the date by a few days?

Unfortunately, I applied with Americamp and because my exams also conflicted, I explained the situation to them and they said they'd have me next year instead.
Reply 2
Original post by JA03
Unfortunately, I applied with Americamp and because my exams also conflicted, I explained the situation to them and they said they'd have me next year instead.

Very annoying! I’ll check out a couple other camp recruiters to see if they will take me on, but I suppose I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed that my exams finish before the 20th.
Reply 3
yea i didn’t apply because of this ):
Reply 4
Very annoying! I’ll check out a couple other camp recruiters to see if they will take me on, but I suppose I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed that my exams finish before the 20th.

what subjects do you take? Some finish earlier. But bear in mind that there are contingency dates which you have to stay for in case exams are moved
Reply 5
Original post by cersef
what subjects do you take? Some finish earlier. But bear in mind that there are contingency dates which you have to stay for in case exams are moved

Religious studies, English literature and Geography. Looking at previous exam dates, I am fine for English and geography, but it is religious studies that might fall over the 20th (this has only happened in 2022, maybe due to Covid pushing exams further back?). I’ve spoken to Wild Packs and they say they may be able to accommodate me depending on if I place my application with them early, but I have a less chance of being able to go in a group of friends due to most spaces being filled up already with people who are available beforehand! Contingency dates may prevent me from going so I’m holding off putting in my application until the final version of exam dates are released.
Reply 6
Religious studies, English literature and Geography. Looking at previous exam dates, I am fine for English and geography, but it is religious studies that might fall over the 20th (this has only happened in 2022, maybe due to Covid pushing exams further back?). I’ve spoken to Wild Packs and they say they may be able to accommodate me depending on if I place my application with them early, but I have a less chance of being able to go in a group of friends due to most spaces being filled up already with people who are available beforehand! Contingency dates may prevent me from going so I’m holding off putting in my application until the final version of exam dates are released.

Is there a deadline? My timetable wasn’t posted until year 13 - can’t remember if it was last year or this year
Reply 7
Original post by cersef
Is there a deadline? My timetable wasn’t posted until year 13 - can’t remember if it was last year or this year

Deadline for applications in April, and I plan on getting mine in October- November time along with my friends

Quick Reply

Latest