The Student Room Group

No motor vehicles sign confusion

I'm a bit confused about the set up on St John's road in Clapham Junction. I see the no motor vehicles sign on the left so I believe it's fine to turn right.

But then can I follow the road further ahead and turn left at the junction? Because there's no sign indicating that you can't. It's very easy to miss as the other sign as you'll see on the second picture is slanted towards the road on the left.

The no motor vehicles sign had the red outer circle and white interior with the black and motorbike symbol as you can see.

Anyway what's the penalty here if you did accidently end up doing the above?
(edited 1 year ago)
1st pic suggests it's camera enforced so it's likely something like a £60 fine with a discount for prompt payment.
OK well I'll take that as long as no points are involved.
Sooo... I got a Penalty charge notice in the post for this exact offense of failing to comply with the sign of no vehicles but it wasn't this road in Clapham!! It was a competely different one somewhere near Streatham, I drove through two days before! I don't even remember driving through here. But in any case they have me on the cctv so that's that.

And the one on Clapham will turn up I reckon in the next day or two so that's two fines for the same contravention in three days! £130 if paid early which I'll obviously do.

What an idiot I am ?????? I feel awful. I am confident driver but as I'm a new driver, still less than a month on the road, I guess this is inevitable for me to make mistakes like this.

I feel awful and I want to blame my in car sat nav. but I should really pay more attention. I just missed them both. I should just use Google maps from now on.
Original post by shorttermnomad
Sooo... I got a Penalty charge notice in the post for this exact offense of failing to comply with the sign of no vehicles but it wasn't this road in Clapham!! It was a competely different one somewhere near Streatham, I drove through two days before! I don't even remember driving through here. But in any case they have me on the cctv so that's that.

And the one on Clapham will turn up I reckon in the next day or two so that's two fines for the same contravention in three days! £130 if paid early which I'll obviously do.

What an idiot I am ?????? I feel awful. I am confident driver but as I'm a new driver, still less than a month on the road, I guess this is inevitable for me to make mistakes like this.

I feel awful and I want to blame my in car sat nav. but I should really pay more attention. I just missed them both. I should just use Google maps from now on.

If it makes you feel any better, when I got a couple of fines they were £60 for the full charge, but about £30 if paid quickly. It was a few years back, so take that with a pinch of salt. Similar to you, I got one that I had no recollection of whatsoever, but clear as day on camera.

I think most people get one or two, especially when you are new to driving. Believe me, you pay more attention to signage once you've been hit in the wallet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending