The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Accommodation Question

I've recently accepted a conditional PhD offer, with a start date in mid-September. I would like to move into a new place around June, although I doubt I would have received my final grades by this point.

I was wondering if anyone knew if landlords/lettings agencies would even consider me if my PhD offer (and therefore stipend) is dependent on me getting a 2:1? Or, if the accommodation isn't on a fixed-term contract, would they not care as long as I could afford the rent until I find out what my grade is?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I have only rented student accommodation before.
Original post by Hughcifer
I've recently accepted a conditional PhD offer, with a start date in mid-September. I would like to move into a new place around June, although I doubt I would have received my final grades by this point.

I was wondering if anyone knew if landlords/lettings agencies would even consider me if my PhD offer (and therefore stipend) is dependent on me getting a 2:1? Or, if the accommodation isn't on a fixed-term contract, would they not care as long as I could afford the rent until I find out what my grade is?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I have only rented student accommodation before.

A private landlord, who doesn't usually let to the student market isn't going to care about the details of your stipend etc. You can either pay the deposit or you can't and you sign a contract and that's it, 2.1 or not, you've got a contract. You probably a) can't afford this and b) don't want to risk it.

Student accommodation is unlikely to be free in June, or else it is sold to the higher paying summer schools/holiday market.

It's a tricky situation and you will probably have to find a Jun-Aug solution and a different Sep onwards solution.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
A private landlord, who doesn't usually let to the student market isn't going to care about the details of your stipend etc. You can either pay the deposit or you can't and you sign a contract and that's it, 2.1 or not, you've got a contract. You probably a) can't afford this and b) don't want to risk it.

Student accommodation is unlikely to be free in June, or else it is sold to the higher paying summer schools/holiday market.

It's a tricky situation and you will probably have to find a Jun-Aug solution and a different Sep onwards solution.

Thanks for the reply! That does sound tricky. Do you know if most contracts have a minimum duration (e.g. of one year)? As you say, it would be risky for me to sign up for one of these if my PhD isn't yet confirmed.
Original post by Hughcifer
Thanks for the reply! That does sound tricky. Do you know if most contracts have a minimum duration (e.g. of one year)? As you say, it would be risky for me to sign up for one of these if my PhD isn't yet confirmed.

Yes, it would be unusual to get a contract of less than 1 year, maybe with a 6 month break point. But search the letting agents, ring a few and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending