The Student Room Group

Is my lecturer ignoring my emails?

I've got a deadline for dissertation proposals coming up and I've emailed a lecturer about one of my proposals a week ago and haven't got a reply yet, I sent a follow up email 3 days ago acknowledging that they may not be able to respond atm but asking them just to acknowledge that they've received my email and I haven't received a reply.

Its bad timing as we were only given the info about dissertation before the easter break and the deadline is not long after the break so I really need them to reply.

I know its easter break but I've had no issues with messaging other lecturers over this period so could it be that they are just ignoring my emails?
If they have taken annual leave, they are under no obligation to answer emails.
It's possible that they will be back at work from Tuesday this week, so you could chase it up then.
Failing that, given the small window between the issuing of the proposal brief and its submission, you could contact the module leader to explain the situation - they might be able to offer you some provisional advice in the meantime.
Original post by bootsglove
I know its easter break but I've had no issues with messaging other lecturers over this period so could it be that they are just ignoring my emails?

I think you have made the common mistake of thinking that the "above and beyond" response of some academics (replying during holidays, evenings and over weekends etc) is a minimum standard, it is not. Most universities are officially closed over Easter from 5th-13th April so it’s not unreasonable for staff to actually be away from their desk / email for a bit.
@bootsglove

It's difficult to be patient when you want an answer straight away, especially when it's to do with your dissertation.

Does your university have a policy about the time it should take for a lecturer to reply to you?

Remember that lecturers get lots of emails all the time from students and work colleagues. Everyone can get email fatigue, but there also might be other things going on e.g. they or a family member may be unwell, or something unexpected may have happened that has called their attention away e.g. a bereavement. Try not to assume that you are being ignored, there might be many things going on that they are trying to contend with.

If you are feeling restless and want to send another email, if you have an email address with Microsoft Outlook you could send an email with a request for a delivery receipt and a read receipt.

If you select these options when you email your lecturer, when your lecturer receives the email from you in their inbox, Microsoft will automatically send you a delivery receipt to say the email has been received. When your lecturer opens the email, Microsoft will automatically send you a read receipt to say that the email has been read.

You can find the delivery and read receipt options by opening a new email and going to the ... menu in the right hand corner and by selecting 'more options', you then just have to tick the box next to 'Request a delivery receipt' and 'Request a read receipt'.

You can pick both or one option.

You then just write and send your email as normal.

Hope you hear back soon.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Mr Wednesday
I think you have made the common mistake of thinking that the "above and beyond" response of some academics (replying during holidays, evenings and over weekends etc) is a minimum standard, it is not. Most universities are officially closed over Easter from 5th-13th April so it’s not unreasonable for staff to actually be away from their desk / email for a bit.

Most universities aren’t closed that long. Some only close for the official bank holidays
https://moremeansbetter.wordpress.com/2023/04/11/why-is-the-university-closed/

(Although it’s true that there’s usually an official break in teaching around Easter meaning that a lot of academic staff will use that time for annual leave and lots of staff with school age children will take time off for childcare reasons)

Allowing for bank holidays OP only allowed 2-3 working days for their lecturer to respond before chasing their email during a bank holiday.
I've got a deadline for dissertation proposals coming up and I've emailed a lecturer about one of my proposals a week ago and haven't got a reply yet, I sent a follow up email 3 days ago acknowledging that they may not be able to respond atm but asking them just to acknowledge that they've received my email and I haven't received a reply.

Its bad timing as we were only given the info about dissertation before the easter break and the deadline is not long after the break so I really need them to reply.

Did you get an Out Of Office message reply to your emails?

Hey!
It sounds like you're feeling frustrated and unsure about the lack of response from your lecturer regarding your dissertation proposal. It's understandable to feel anxious, especially with a looming deadline. However, it's important to keep in mind that lecturers are also people with their own lives and responsibilities, and may not be able to respond to emails immediately, especially during breaks. It's possible that they may have missed your email or have not had the chance to respond yet.
Sending a follow-up email was a good idea, but it's also possible that your lecturer is simply unavailable at the moment. You could try reaching out to them again after the Easter break to follow up and see if they have any feedback on your proposal. In the meantime, it might be helpful to also reach out to other lecturers or academic advisors for guidance and support with your dissertation proposal. They may be able to provide helpful advice and feedback, or even put you in touch with other resources that can assist you. Overall, try not to stress too much and keep in mind that your lecturer may simply be unavailable at the moment. Keep reaching out and seeking support from other resources as needed, and hopefully, you'll receive the feedback you need to move forward with your proposal soon!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending