The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scared of getting rejected from uni

I'm actually so scared about getting rejected from my dream uni. People I know have already gotten offers from there for the same course and I'm just preparing myself for a rejection. I've already gotten rejected from 2 other unis that I would have wanted to go to while the others have gotten offers from there too. I'm worrying about it so much that I've managed to fall sick because of it and I can't stop panicking. I know it's ridiculous to worry since I can't do anything about it but I just can't help it.
I’m sorry to hear that :frown: I applied for uni this year too, so I get what you mean about applications being frustrating. It really feels like you’re stuck in limbo when you’re waiting on a decision. Your friends getting offers before you doesn’t mean that you’ve been rejected - unis process applications randomly - its not first come first serve.

Anxiety is ridiculous and irrational. If it helps, you could try some breathing exercises or meditation to help you calm down. You could try some apps like Clear Fear if that works better for you.

Hang in there! :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I’m sorry to hear that :frown: I applied for uni this year too, so I get what you mean about applications being frustrating. It really feels like you’re stuck in limbo when you’re waiting on a decision. Your friends getting offers before you doesn’t mean that you’ve been rejected - unis process applications randomly - its not first come first serve.

Anxiety is ridiculous and irrational. If it helps, you could try some breathing exercises or meditation to help you calm down. You could try some apps like Clear Fear if that works better for you.

Hang in there! :smile:

I'm feeling better now, thank you :smile: I just hate this so much and I'm losing hope day by day
Original post by Anonymous
I'm feeling better now, thank you :smile: I just hate this so much and I'm losing hope day by day

I'm glad to hear it! :biggrin: I'm waiting on UCL too, and I find it pretty annoying as well, so then I usually distract myself with something else so I won't dwell on it. Which unis did you apply to, and for what course, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I'm glad to hear it! :biggrin: I'm waiting on UCL too, and I find it pretty annoying as well, so then I usually distract myself with something else so I won't dwell on it. Which unis did you apply to, and for what course, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

sorry this is so late! i applied to ucl, st andrews, lse, soas and bristol for ir
Hello,

I'm really sorry that waiting for replies is proving to be so stressful. Admissions offices can be really busy this time of year but I hope some responses have started trickling through and you're feeling a bit more at ease. I think it's really hard not to compare your experience to everyone else around you at the moment because a lot of the people you're around will be going through the same things. But I think it's really important not to compare your experience too much and don't take the unsuccessful applications as a rejection and do not take them personally. University is important but your mental health is far more important and the great thing about university is that there are a lot of options for how you can get there or how you can get onto a certain career path

If you are worried, I highly recommend that you look at applying through clearing, looking at apprenticeships or look at taking a foundation year that might give you some time to settle into the course and gather the skills you need to continue with the degree programme.

I hope you're feeling better.

- M (SOAS student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending