The Student Room Group

French IRP AQA

What type of questions will be asked? I have 5 headings/questions and a conclusion but looking at the sample exams on the aqa website, it looks like you can't just recite paragraphs of info. I'm talking about the legacy of french colonialism in algeria, any advice would be appreciated. thanks!
Yeah I think it will definitely be difficult to recite paragraphs as they make up the questions and will ask follow up questions too I think.
hi, for my French speaking I used flashcards and wrote down every possible question I could think of off the top of my head that related to my speech. For example, my topic was sustainability and one of my headings was the textile industry. So I wrote the section of my speech that was on the textile industry on one side of a flashcard and used the blurting method to write down every single question that came to my mind when I saw that speech (ie. what can you expand on in your speech and do you have any stats that you can add to it). I would then say that section to my classmates and get them to ask me questions based on it. It shows what comes to mind of others beforehand, and you never know, one of those might actually be what the examiner thinks as soon as they hear what you have to say. It makes you appear like you're one step ahead, and the chances of the examiner asking something similar to what your peers have pointed out will be higher now that you are aware that those questions relating to your speech exist. Another thing I did was interconnect my headings so that I could hopefully steer away from the ones where I had less to say. For example I had the textile industry which was limiting for me, but one on the food industry where I had a lot to say (because of opinions on veganism and how it's not always more sustainable - coming from myself who is one). For example I would say that the majority of people cannot afford to fully shop more sustainably regarding certain clothing brands, in the same way that many cannot afford to switch other aspects of their lifestyles such as their diets. And around 70-80% of the time, it worked.

Small side note: I have social anxiety, so any speech for me is incredibly hard. I actually forgot most of my speech and ended up being cut off after two minutes of rambling. The key is to KEEP GOING so the examiner has things that they can pick up on, and you actually get to mention all of your headings in your speech (I literally said for the last one: 'oh, there is also the energy industry.' Done.). During the questions don't be afraid to just take a deep breath and be calm. You won't get deducted any points for just saying 'one moment please' (in French, preferably), or in my case, 'I need to breathe'. Just trust your ability in the language and the rest should follow. Good luck :smile: (and sorry for the long response)
i have a question... what exactly are headings? im doing my spanish irp and they sent me a form to complete, and im not sure what to put as my headings/ sources. does it mean stuff i want them to ask me about?? like im doing wine industry, can i put - flavour of wine, market for this certain type of wine, the importance of wine, history of wine and etc?? or is that too detailed?
Original post by pasankalla
i have a question... what exactly are headings? im doing my spanish irp and they sent me a form to complete, and im not sure what to put as my headings/ sources. does it mean stuff i want them to ask me about?? like im doing wine industry, can i put - flavour of wine, market for this certain type of wine, the importance of wine, history of wine and etc?? or is that too detailed?

are you in year 12? if you are and you're doing AQA I would see if there's an AQA Spanish forum and you can have a look for yourself on there, as I don't really know how much detail there is to your topic exactly. But those headings don't seem too detailed; the purpose of them is for the examiner to focus in on them and ask you about them based on what you outline in your speech. You must try to mention all your headings in your two-minute presentation and then the examiner will question you further on what you're outlined and you'll be expected to provide further information (so have some statistics and facts ready). If I were you, I would go to a Spanish forum and see if there's anyone doing something similar to yours and see how they've worked on it, but the variation of your headings make it seem fine to me.

If you're in y13 or taking your speaking this summer, it might be best to talk to your teachers because they normally have to collate all their students' IRP forms and send them off in one go (that's what mine did) because the topics and headings need to be approved by the exam board, and if you haven't already done this, then you're really cutting it fine on time here.
Original post by flâneuse
are you in year 12? if you are and you're doing AQA I would see if there's an AQA Spanish forum and you can have a look for yourself on there, as I don't really know how much detail there is to your topic exactly. But those headings don't seem too detailed; the purpose of them is for the examiner to focus in on them and ask you about them based on what you outline in your speech. You must try to mention all your headings in your two-minute presentation and then the examiner will question you further on what you're outlined and you'll be expected to provide further information (so have some statistics and facts ready). If I were you, I would go to a Spanish forum and see if there's anyone doing something similar to yours and see how they've worked on it, but the variation of your headings make it seem fine to me.

If you're in y13 or taking your speaking this summer, it might be best to talk to your teachers because they normally have to collate all their students' IRP forms and send them off in one go (that's what mine did) because the topics and headings need to be approved by the exam board, and if you haven't already done this, then you're really cutting it fine on time here.

THANK U SO SO MUCH
my exam centre is my old school, i changed my aleveld, I'm on a gap year, anyways, I emailed them early on the year if I had to give them any forms for Spanish IRP and they said it was all cool I had done everything... But they sent me an email yesterday about the record candidate form and I had no clue how to fill it in, but I sent it in last night and I think the headings that I chose align with what you said so I hope it's all sorted out now. Yes I know it's really last minute AGhhh but at least it's done now. Anyways THANK YOUUU!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending