The Student Room Group

I Can't Do This On My Own

I will admit that when it comes to social capital I'm rather poor. I do have friends, but most of them are online-only, and this is quite difficult to take. I don't have much support around me to get further either, leaving me to my own devices. I've tried to find clubs and socials that might suit my interests, but I haven't found anything that really interests me. All I tend to do is play games and write reviews and features for a couple of videogame websites.

Does anyone else feel stuck and does anyone have any advice that could get me unstuck?
I feel you there. I always had a small, but close, social circle until maybe 4 years ago when I changed jobs (and locations) twice in a year. The moves were smart career wise but meant I lost a lot of contact with people I knew. Then came COVID and lockdowns which isolated me more as lockdown made it easy to become a bit of a recluse.

I've not really got more than maybe 3-4 actual friend nowadays and they are scattered across the UK, but it's something. I've recently started getting exercise again (first time in ages) and eating better. Hoping that as I get fitter and lose the weight, my confidence will return and I can get out there socially.

Remember, friends are friends, wherever they may be, but you do need human contact from time to time to keep you sane.

Maybe see if there's some local groups or something you could get involved with, or volunteer somewhere. Might open a new world to you somewhat.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending