The Student Room Group

University admission

Hi all, I am from India. I am looking to admit my daughter in Psychology Masters in The UK. Can you guys suggest a university providing best education and with affordable tuition fees, say around 10000 pounds per year. We have not zeroed in on any universities yet, we have just started the process of analyzing the potential universities. Please suggest the things we have to take care while processing an application. Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi! I’m currently in the middle of the application process, I’m also from India. What field is your daughter looking at? There are only a few fields in the UK that are recognised by the British Psychological Society. It’s important that your daughter’s undergrad degree is accredited by BPS - meaning it should confer Graduate Basis of Chartered Membership (GBC). GBC will cost you around ₹15k. More info about all this can be found on the BPS site. You can find more detailed info here: @saumya.psych on instagram. I’ve found her account very helpful during my application process. Unfortunately, I don’t think you’ll be able to find a course that requires you to pay 10,000 GBP, not even one that doesnt have a good reputation. You need to secure at least 23,000 GBP for a good uni and a good MSc course and another 12,000 GBP for living expenses. In total you’d at least need 40,000 GBP for one year of study. Most MSc Psych courses in UK are one year long, there are some who offer two years then of course the fees and expenses will double (approx 80,000 GBP). Upon deciding which field your daughter wants to go for, Uni ranking does not matter. Your daughter definitely needs to look at the course content - if it’s matching her career goals and what she wants to learn. After that, it’s best to contact alumni from respective universities to know about student experiences. If your daughter plans to work in the UK after graduation, the MSc must be accredited by the BPS. But if she decided to come back then it may not be accredited and you can save up on GBC. I’d suggest to start the application process as early as 5-6 months before the deadline, however each university’s deadline and requirements differ so start your research ASAP.
Thank you so much ravenpri for taking your time and kindly replying in such detail. Yes, we have visited the BPS' website and taken note of their process and also GBC. My daughter is interested in clinical psychology and we are pursuing the available options. About the cost of the course, we can extend our budget as the admission process kicks in. Contacting the alumni is a very good idea. Can you suggest how we can contact them (apart from the university websites)? Also, we sure will visit instagram on saumya.psych. Thanks once again.
Original post by Basramkumar
Thank you so much ravenpri for taking your time and kindly replying in such detail. Yes, we have visited the BPS' website and taken note of their process and also GBC. My daughter is interested in clinical psychology and we are pursuing the available options. About the cost of the course, we can extend our budget as the admission process kicks in. Contacting the alumni is a very good idea. Can you suggest how we can contact them (apart from the university websites)? Also, we sure will visit instagram on saumya.psych. Thanks once again.

Hi so GBC will not be required if your daughter is interested in pursuing clinical psychology. ClinPsy is not accredited by the BPS. If she plans to pursue ClinPsy it will be difficult for her to get a job in the UK later. I’d suggest she looks at accredited fields like forensic, industrial, health etc. there are courses that provide an MSC in Forensic and Clinical Psych - it might interest her. I also suggest that you apply for the GBC during non-peak periods (e.g may or june) because when i applied for GBC in October 2022, I received the certificate 3 months later. It’s best to have GBC before you apply because then it could increase her chances of getting in. However if you still dont have GBC you can submit it before the supporting documents deadline (usually in feb/march depends on uni). I actually contacted 20+ alumni from diff unis I’d applied to via LinkedIn. They really helped me in giving interview prep tips and pros and cons about the course they studied in. Please don’t hesitate to contact college seniors who have gone abroad to the UK. Usually the teachers can help you connect with them. I’ve been in touch with 2-3 seniors and they told me a lot of stuff that an agent or a website couldnt share. Have you contacted an agent? I live in Mumbai and my agent is Apex Consultants. We’re about to start the visa process soon this month. I also did my IELTS training with them. I’d suggest your daughter starts prepping soon, I started preparing for the admissions process 2 years in advance (e.g giving IELTS, passport, writing SOP, building rapport with teachers to get LORs). Also, most MSC Psych degrees have interviews and your daughter will be asked questions related to the field and her experience in stats. They’ll also ask her to design a research study during the interview and explain the statistical analyses that can be used. So if your kid isn’t good with stats, I’d suggest she starts revising and learning more in-depth about Stats. If possible, I’d recommend getting work experience in any mental health setting (or volunteering). It’ll definitely give her an edge over others. I took a gap year and pursued a diploma in counselling and i have about 8 months of work experience in the mental health/psych field. Interviewers do ask about relevant job experiences

And no problem, happy to help! lemme know if you need to know anything else, i’ll help out to the best of my capabilities. You can also drop me a private message!
Thanks for your usual detailed thoughts. So, I assume we are just at the first stage of the admission process. It is a news to me that it is tough to find clinical psych jobs. Well, I will do some research on that. About the interview process, thanks for the heads up, we will prepare for that. She has already done 2 separate internships at different hospitals in our city.

I will get in touch with you in private message for other details. Have a nice day.
Hey, thank you for your kind words. I think this would help to clear your confusion about clinical psych being unaccredited in the UK: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5816158

That being said, a lot of benefits come with having a accredited Masters degree. For example, I am going to start my msc forensic psych course this year which is BPS accredited. This counts as stage 1 training towards becoming a chartered forensic psychologist. stage 2 would be to work 2 years under a supervisor after which i can apply for chartered status with bps and registration with hcpc council. however, if your daughter does MSc in clinical, she would have two gain two years of work exp and then apply for DClinPsy which is accredited by the BPS. So, masters is not accredited but the doctorate is but beware because DCLinPsy is usually for 3-4 years and that is a lot of investment. Not to mention her Masters wont count as Stage 1 training like other accredited courses do. You could email the BPS for more info
Original post by ravenpri
Hey, thank you for your kind words. I think this would help to clear your confusion about clinical psych being unaccredited in the UK: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5816158

That being said, a lot of benefits come with having a accredited Masters degree. For example, I am going to start my msc forensic psych course this year which is BPS accredited. This counts as stage 1 training towards becoming a chartered forensic psychologist. stage 2 would be to work 2 years under a supervisor after which i can apply for chartered status with bps and registration with hcpc council. however, if your daughter does MSc in clinical, she would have two gain two years of work exp and then apply for DClinPsy which is accredited by the BPS. So, masters is not accredited but the doctorate is but beware because DCLinPsy is usually for 3-4 years and that is a lot of investment. Not to mention her Masters wont count as Stage 1 training like other accredited courses do. You could email the BPS for more info

Thanks for the link, raven. It's really an eye opener for us regarding ClinPsy, we didnt think about the requirement of Dclinpsy in the future. Of course, we cant afford to spend money on DClinpsy. So, we have shuffle our options. Apart from forensic psy, what other courses are there in Msc that would fetch her a job.
Original post by Basramkumar
Thanks for the link, raven. It's really an eye opener for us regarding ClinPsy, we didnt think about the requirement of Dclinpsy in the future. Of course, we cant afford to spend money on DClinpsy. So, we have shuffle our options. Apart from forensic psy, what other courses are there in Msc that would fetch her a job.

It would honestly depend on her grades, volunteering/work experience in the relevant field during MSc and how her interview goes.

these links should help: https://www.bps.org.uk/find-your-career-psychology

https://www.bps.org.uk/_preview_/77869ae9-a8e2-4bbf-84ee-0c2dfd4f0388/67053/1682176587/Wgvn_GxbwcDLfA0YD9pd_jNswtxd92VA_psEOHZnzvc

Quick Reply

Latest