The Student Room Group

failed my first driving test :(

im a bit gutted since i really believed i would pass first go and so did my instructor AND my family :frown: not only do i feel like i've disappointed them and myself, i just feel like i should've tried harder and freaked out a little less. on one hand at least i have the experience at how a test goes, but i just wish i could've passed to make life easier with going to and back to uni and work :frown: just feel a bit crappy and down and i almost just dont wanna do driving anymore. it was 3 serious faults!! i never even got serious faults during my mocks so i dont know what happened.
Reply 1
Original post by galmatt
im a bit gutted since i really believed i would pass first go and so did my instructor AND my family :frown: not only do i feel like i've disappointed them and myself, i just feel like i should've tried harder and freaked out a little less. on one hand at least i have the experience at how a test goes, but i just wish i could've passed to make life easier with going to and back to uni and work :frown: just feel a bit crappy and down and i almost just dont wanna do driving anymore. it was 3 serious faults!! i never even got serious faults during my mocks so i dont know what happened.

It makes sense to be disappointed in the short term but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. You will need a few more lessons which may make you a better driver and then once you pass the retake there will be no difference between you and someone who passed first time.

Please don't let short term disappointment lead to rash decisions like stopping driving. Remember that the majority of UK drivers failed their first test.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
It makes sense to be disappointed in the short term but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. You will need a few more lessons which may make you a better driver and then once you pass the retake there will be no difference between you and someone who passed first time.
Please don't let short term disappointment lead to rash decisions like stopping driving. Remember that the majority of UK drivers failed their first test.

i totally understand, i feel like i'll get over the initial upset tomorrow or sooner. thank you for your kind response, i really hope i do pass the second time and hopefully am able to book the test sooner rather than later! i love to drive really so i think thats why failing first time has really got to me, but i think i'll be alright. thank you very much :smile:
I give up after today
(edited 1 year ago)
The average pass rate for people's first driving test is about 50%, so you're definitely not alone. In the same way, I felt so prepared for my first driving test, hoursof lessons, hours of practice, etc. However, because I was feeling so nervous about my driving test, I made a daft mistake in about the first 5 minutes, (pulling out onto a road in front of a car, overestimating how much space I would have,) and although my driving examiner said that the rest of it was great, I had already failed before I'd left the driving centre. I was super disappointed, my Mum had already brought P plates for me, I had plans to drive for a uni open day by myself, etc, and I felt like I had disappointed everybody. However, everbody who I spoke to said not to give up, so I practiced some more, and I passed the second time, which many people do. I think that it was probably because I knew what to expect of a driving test, so although I was quite nervous, I didn't make any major mistakes because of my nerves like in my first driving test. The second one actually felt a lot easier. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that from your origional post, it sounds like you're a good driver, so you'll most likely pass next time! Good luck and never give up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending