The Student Room Group

is 3 hours away from home too far?

I am from London and considering Uni of Sheffield, and it takes about 3 hours by train to get there, or 5-7 hours by coach.

I'd like to return home every 2-3 weeks (mainly to see my pets who I will miss a lot), but I'm afraid that the journey will be long and tedious, and will end up costing a lot of my student loan.

I did read that longer train journeys are good in uni as you can properly settle down on the train and do some work or sleep.

Does anyone go uni far from home but still go back regularly, is it doable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by floppyfish
I am from London and considering Uni of Sheffield, and it takes about 3 hours by train to get there, or 5-7 hours by coach.

I'd like to return home every 2-3 weeks (mainly to see my pets who I will miss a lot), but I'm afraid that the journey will be long and tedious, and will end up costing a lot of my student loan.

I did read that longer train journeys are good in uni as you can properly settle down on the train and do some work or sleep.

Depends, although returning home every 2-3 weeks, that's a lot of time used.

Either go to a uni close to home or move out from home.

I'd say its doable but very much depends on the person (and coming back every two or three weeks would make it expensive too!). Why not go to an open day and see what the journey is like, and if you would find it ok?
I've got an older sister and friends who are 1st and 2nd year students, and from their experiences, people normally get really involved with uni life (and there's a lot of stuff to get involved with at Sheffield Uni!) and sure they go home but not as often as every few weeks. However, in my own case, (I'm in Y13,) I struggle more with mental health stuff and transitions, so I'm staying more local to my family, and luckily my first choice uni is practically on my doorstep! I've got a friend who is staying within about one hour of home for personal reasons. Some of my friends are rejecting their local unis simpily because they want to move away from home. That's also fine, it's just about whatever is right for you. Not being at home for every weekend doesn't mean that you're by yourself. You can call, text, facetime, etc, your family and your pets, and there's plenty of support at unis for moving away from home, being independent and settling in because most of the 1st year students will be in the same position as you. Try to weigh up these differernt factors in your decicion, if that would help you
Train and bus travel can also be unreliable with delays, cancellations, etc.
Original post by totallyfine
I'd say its doable but very much depends on the person (and coming back every two or three weeks would make it expensive too!). Why not go to an open day and see what the journey is like, and if you would find it ok?

Thank you for your response :smile:
I’m going for an open day tomorrow so I guess I’ll see then!
To be honest my sister, who goes to a uni about 1 hour away, rarely returns, maybe once every 2 months.
Thank you for your response :smile:
I’m going for an open day tomorrow so I guess I’ll see then!
To be honest my sister, who goes to a uni about 1 hour away, rarely returns, maybe once every 2 months.

I hope you enjoy it! I have heard it said that you should aim to pick a Uni that is just a little too far from home, so that it is not so easy to go back too often and help you get more independent. But it really is a personal thing.
(edited 1 year ago)
It's doable. I lived 3hrs from my parents house during my first undergrad. I went home once a month.
So it totally depends on you, I'm autistic so at first am planning to go home a lot so I picked one about an hour and a half away. If you really want to do it then it shouldn't be a problem you might just need to do a bit more work in the weeks to make up the time on the way home. However the money would be potentially problematic. I'm personally saving as much money as I can at the moment so I have enough money without using my student loan so its definitely different for person to person but if it is something you really want to do you should be fine
Original post by Jess_Lomas
So it totally depends on you, I'm autistic so at first am planning to go home a lot so I picked one about an hour and a half away. If you really want to do it then it shouldn't be a problem you might just need to do a bit more work in the weeks to make up the time on the way home. However the money would be potentially problematic. I'm personally saving as much money as I can at the moment so I have enough money without using my student loan so its definitely different for person to person but if it is something you really want to do you should be fine

Thank you!! I’m eligible for some bursaries so I’ll use them to cover transport costs, I’ll also try to have a part time job in uni as well, not just for money but also experience.

I think you can apply for a DSA/some bursaries (depending on the uni) if you’re autistic? It’s worth checking out if you’re trying to save money :smile:
Thank you!! I’m eligible for some bursaries so I’ll use them to cover transport costs, I’ll also try to have a part time job in uni as well, not just for money but also experience.

I think you can apply for a DSA/some bursaries (depending on the uni) if you’re autistic? It’s worth checking out if you’re trying to save money :smile:

Thanks, I'm not sure if I'm eligible for any bursaries but I have DSA and the gave me software sort of things .Thanks for recommending it incase I didn't know

Yes it’s very doable, id note that at university terms are typically 12 weeks followed by decent sized xmas, easter breaks (and a very long summer (aimed at giving you time for internships, something you should be to accommodate in London/home)).

it is a long trip to make every 3 weeks but if you were to go back every 4 weeks or something and then spend more time at home outside term time it won’t be too bad at all.

I recommend staying more time at university, as you can maximize the experience and embrace more of the opportunities on offer.

Once you start uni , unless you are stuggle to make friends and / or are weird . You won’t be going back every couple of weeks . Trust
Original post by Thenewguy123
Once you start uni , unless you are stuggle to make friends and / or are weird . You won’t be going back every couple of weeks . Trust

What constitutes "weird" to you, I know people at uni and coming home to see family is a lot more common than people make it seem online
(edited 1 year ago)

im going to be 7 hours away :s-smilie:
Original post by Thenewguy123

Yeahh as I said the main reason would be to check in on my pets as my mum will be taking care of them I don’t want it to be too much of a burden.

haha I struggle a bit making friends, mostly because I’m a slightly anxious person (going to a girls only school doesn’t help), but I’ll just join a bunch of societies and hopefully meet some people I get on with.

thanks though! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
im going to be 7 hours away :s-smilie:

Oh wow, if you don’t mind me asking, which uni?

im sure once u settle in it will be fine, but 7 hours is long damn. At least you’d be able to take an overnight train maybe and sleep the whole time.

@floppyfish

I am a Londoner. I usually avoid going down until the end of term because it can feel like quite a hassle and an expense.

My best advice would be to book train tickets early/ get a railcard if you know that you want to be going down regularly and to try and travel as light as possible on the way down, so that you can bring more stuff up!

Coach trips have provided me with plenty of opportunity to get in some good revision, so I have felt able to relax and enjoy my time at home.

I have found it more difficult to focus on the train, but everyone's different.

The train ride is definitely more pleasant but don’t forget to factor in any Underground time or additional transport when you arrive at the station and the additional costs.

The way my timetable works means that I have long weekends e.g. no lectures on Monday, so I have a bit of time to adjust back before lectures, so depending on your timetable you may or may not find it so easy to go down each week. You may also find it more difficult to adjust to uni life. You may miss opportunities to build friendships with people at uni.

I would suggest going down for reading week/end of term rather than making it a regular thing.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@floppyfish

I am a Londoner. I usually avoid going down until the end of term because it can feel like quite a hassle and an expense.

My best advice would be to book train tickets early/ get a railcard if you know that you want to be going down regularly and to try and travel as light as possible on the way down, so that you can bring more stuff up!

Coach trips have provided me with plenty of opportunity to get in some good revision, so I have felt able to relax and enjoy my time at home.

I have found it more difficult to focus on the train, but everyone's different.

The train ride is definitely more pleasant but don’t forget to factor in any Underground time or additional transport when you arrive at the station and the additional costs.

The way my timetable works means that I have long weekends e.g. no lectures on Monday, so I have a bit of time to adjust back before lectures, so depending on your timetable you may or may not find it so easy to go down each week. You may also find it more difficult to adjust to uni life. You may miss opportunities to build friendships with people at uni.

I would suggest going down for reading week/end of term rather than making it a regular thing.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Thank you so much! Your tips have been very useful I will keep them in mind

Hey there @floppyfish !
I currently study at Sheffield Hallam and live around the same distance as you from Sheffield, just more north in direction rather than south. In my first year I was attempting to go back home at least once a month and for special occasions but it was always tricky because to get the tickets cheaper you'd have to buy it ages in advance but then you'd never know if it was going to be cancelled on the day and there was loads of train strikes and delays all the time. I kind of had to sacrifice that because it was becoming un-manageable and a lot of money spent on trains.

It might be something you want to try out for the first few months and see how it goes because you might find the travelling really tedious. For me personally, I hate waiting for trains and I have to change trains but each change has a wait time of around half an hour so I did get sick of it by the end and dread the travelling home part of it. Usually tickets for me were looking like around £30 for a return and that's with a railcard. There was always the chance that one of my return trains would get cancelled and I think if you were going as regularly as you say, you might get sick of the travelling. I'd definitely give it a good go though as if you really want to do it you might not mind so much.

If you think about it in the sense that each return is £30 and every 2 weeks would mean £60 a month. Over the cost of uni: September-December would be £210 (you would probably be going home in December and coming back in January after Christmas), January-April would be £240, then I imagine you'd go home for Easter and come back at the end of April so then you have May-June which would be a further £120. It's important to budget when you're at university because you may think you can afford it at the start but circumstances change and you might need extra one month. Give it a trial period and see how you get on.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending