The Student Room Group

Four Medical School Post Interview Rejections

(edited 1 year ago)
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by epilimster
I'm just slightly at a loss now that I've hit the crossroads. The varying paths that my life could take now is a bit overwhelming to be honest and I feel quite apathetic despite the shroud of anxiety surrounding the unkown.

As the title says, I managed to obtain 4 interviews quite comfortably and whilst at my first interview I was aware of my anxiety being quite visible, I felt that the other 3 went over okay. To then receive the feedback that, in fact, I had not gotten an offer due to my anxiety specifically at one school (though it was only two interviewers that felt that I was nervous out of all the stations?) was quite the blow, and another school provided a range of satisfaction that my responses lay within which is not of much use considering that I cannot recall the questions nor my answers.

Many people have advised that I take a gap year to reapply and gain some clinical work experience as a hca, however I have always been of the mind that if I were to not get a place in the first instance, that I would not reapply and I would pursue another career. This would be the most intelligent path in my case, I believe, as it wasn't as though I was unable to gain any interviews. The reason for my failure lies solely with faults of my character that I cannot see a way of overcoming in the space of a year or so. It would also not be guaranteed that I even score as highly on the ucat this summer if I were to take it.

The problem, then, is this tight, constricting feeling when I imagine a career other than in medicine. It's such a cliché but I feel as though my heart is set on medicine and it's the only career I would be happy in. This is really frustrating as I know that the chances of me getting in next cycle are basically none as it is a personality fault that I was unable to get in this time, but I cannot get over the thought that maybe, just maybe, I might get in next time, even though rationally I know I should move on to another career.

Sorry for the long post, I know it's a bit of a self-pity type of rant but any advice would be welcomed.

Hey, I just want to say that I was in the same position as you last year but I decided to take a gap year and now have offers from Kings and St Georges for medicine. So, if you feel like medicine is what you really want to do, then take a gap year and reapply. You can definitely become better at doing interviews by practicing with others, reading up on hot topics, reflecting on your experiences etc.
- It sounds like you did score very high in the UCAT. I am sure your score will improve after doing it once, but even if you scored lower you can still get all your interviews with strategic applications.
- try not to take the interviews so personally. It’s just about ticking boxes - there are so many interview prep courses to be better coached and tick off all the points on the mark scheme. It’s about practice and thinking like they want you to - it’s all learnt. It’s not about your personality- there are doctors and med students with many personalities. You can work on your nerves too by changing your mindset and being more fearless. If you believe in yourself and do your best, it will be much easier for interviewers to see your potential too.
If you know you won’t feel happy doing other careers, don’t. You may look back and wish you tried more and have regrets. Also applying as a grad is even harder. Go with your gut and know there are so many who have been in your position and managed to get multiple offers. Know you are capable - you have great grades, all 4 interviews and a great UCAT. They chose to interview you as they know already you’re capable. You can do whatever you choose - all you have to do is go for it head first.
If you are so set on medicine and it is anxiety that's stopping you doing well, have you considered getting help for the anxiety to put you in a better place for future interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending