The Student Room Group

Stressed about my university life and assignments

I have been trying to catch up on work that is due around the beginning of May. My essays and powerpoint presentation. I’m stressed that I won’t be able to complete everything to the right standards. I have tried working on these assignments during placement but it was hard doing them plus I was stressed with learning in placement as I had no formative and summative assessments being completed and that took majority of my focus.
I have also been feeling panicky at times, have massive headaches and been slacking off taking care of myself. Not to mention, I also have been feeling lonely and don’t have many friends where I can discuss about these assignments.
I want to talk to my university about it but I am scared. I want to ask for extension of deadline but I don’t think it’s appropriate as it was my fault for not managing my workload. Plus I wouldn’t be able to be accepted because I don’t work and live with my parents which makes me feel i am making excuses.
Does anyone know how I can deal with the situation?
I have tried making plans each day but it’s not really effectively working and I need a solution to be able to help deal with my stress and complete my work.
I would go straight for the practicalities.

Draw up a list of each assigmment task, when it's due, its weighting within the module, and an assessment of how much or little work has been done already.

Create a priority list which should refect the importance of each task. The one with the highest weighting, the least work done and is due the soonest will go at the top. The task with the lowest weighting, most work done and due the latest will be last. Categorise every assignment task and add them to the list. Use this to focus your efforts.

Create a schedule - basically you will need to work flat out from now, with time for rest obviously. You need to clear the decks really.

Asking for an extension - are you sure you can do this as normally the deadline is the deadline and if you submit late you would have to submit an EC application with supporting evidence. This will certainly be worth doing if you have acceptable reasons as it will give you an extra week.

If even thinking about doing these things are stressing you out to the point of inaction, then you really do need to speak to your Personal Tutor wh will be able to direct you to the apporpriate support within the uni.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been trying to catch up on work that is due around the beginning of May. My essays and powerpoint presentation. I’m stressed that I won’t be able to complete everything to the right standards. I have tried working on these assignments during placement but it was hard doing them plus I was stressed with learning in placement as I had no formative and summative assessments being completed and that took majority of my focus.
I have also been feeling panicky at times, have massive headaches and been slacking off taking care of myself. Not to mention, I also have been feeling lonely and don’t have many friends where I can discuss about these assignments.
I want to talk to my university about it but I am scared. I want to ask for extension of deadline but I don’t think it’s appropriate as it was my fault for not managing my workload. Plus I wouldn’t be able to be accepted because I don’t work and live with my parents which makes me feel i am making excuses.
I have tried making plans each day but it’s not really effectively working and I need a solution to be able to help deal with my stress and complete my work.

Hi there,

I understand the feeling. It’s an overwhelming one and the best option is to take a break. Go for a recreational activity you enjoy doing.
You can:
- Ask for extension
- Speak to your personal academic tutor

You can:
See a Movie
You can either go to the cinema with your friends or or watch a movie from home. There are so many comedy movies that you can watch and avoid movies that will disturb your mind/mood.

Get Some Air
If needed, take a walk. Go and get the fresh air. You actually need to breathe because it helps.

Chat with Friends
Meet up with your friends and have cool conversations with them. Not conversations that will get you thinking or sober, but funny conversations that can help ease your nerves.

Read a Novel
Get a book of your choice and read and you ask for recommendations. You can read either romance novels, fictional novels or even children’s literature.

Rest/ Sleep
Always consider resting. When overwhelmed, leave paper work and sleep. That way, you will gain the power to continue with activities.

Go on Dates
Hang out with friends, eat lots of food, visit places, take beautiful pictures, make sweet memories and tet your mind off school work.

Play Games
Pick any indoor or outdoor game of your choice and play. You could do that with friends or neighbors.

Attend Concerts (if any)
You can attend musical concerts, comedy shows, and dance shows. Google events that has been scheduled to take place in your area or one close to you and attend.

Just do something that will help relieve stress and trust me, when you’re done, you will be fully prepared to get back to school work.

Just do something that will help relieve stress and trust me, when you’re done, you will be fully prepared to get back to school work.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep
(edited 12 months ago)

Hey!
I understand how overwhelming it can be to juggle multiple assignments, especially when you're also dealing with stress and anxiety. It's great that you've been trying to make plans and stay on top of things, but it sounds like you're still struggling to cope with the workload.

First and foremost, please don't be too hard on yourself. It's completely understandable to feel stressed and anxious, and it's okay to ask for help when you need it. You mentioned that you're scared to talk to your university, but I want to assure you that they are there to support you.

In fact, I can share a personal experience that might help put your mind at ease. When I was doing my master's, I had a similar experience to yours. I planned everything out and felt confident, but as the deadline approached, my anxiety and panic attacks started getting worse. I was unable to work on my assignment and felt guilty about asking for an extension, thinking my professors would see me as just lazy or making excuses.

However, when I finally worked up the courage to ask for an extension, I was pleasantly surprised. My professors were very understanding and empathetic, and they reminded me that my mental health should always come first. They gave me an extension and encouraged me to take care of myself. It was a huge relief, and it made me feel more comfortable reaching out for support in the future.

So, my advice to you would be to reach out to your university and talk to someone about how you're feeling. Explain that you're struggling with the workload and that you're experiencing stress and anxiety. You can also mention that you don't have many friends to discuss the assignments with, and that you're feeling lonely. I'm sure they will be understanding and willing to help you.

As for dealing with the stress, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure you're taking breaks and taking care of yourself. Get enough sleep, eat well, and try to do some exercise or relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation. Also, consider talking to a counselor or therapist if you haven't already. They can help you manage your stress and anxiety in a healthy way.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask for an extension if you need one. It's not a sign of weakness or laziness, and it's better to ask for help than to struggle alone. Remember, your mental health is just as important as your academic work, and your university should support you in both areas.

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the best with your assignments!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Reply 4
I had a similar experience to yours. I planned everything out and felt confident, but as the deadline approached, my anxiety and panic attacks started getting worse. I was unable to work on my assignment and felt guilty about asking for an extension, thinking my professors would see me as just lazy or making excuses.

However, when I finally worked up the courage to ask for an extension, I was pleasantly surprised. My professors were very understanding and empathetic, and they reminded me that my mental health should always come first. They gave me an extension and encouraged me to take care of myself. I also got help with my assignments from a verified tutor through her I was able to submit my assignments on time and I passed I thankvher as well as my lecturers for understanding my situation.t was a huge relief to me I swear
Reply 5

I graduated last year and I have a good experience with Providing the best quality support and assistance to students with Assignments, Dissertation,Essay, Thesis..Reach out if you need help.

Hi there, sorry to hear the past few months have been stressful for you. I understand that assignments can be overwhelming alongside your other commitments, I would suggest working on both of these whilst seeking support from your University.

For your assignments, you can start by listing all the deadlines so you know which to prioritise and complete first. If you have sufficient to time to allocate to each, then it is not a problem. If not, I would suggest weighing each assessment: which is more important, which requires more effort. (It may sound bad to put less attention on some subjects, but I think many students had to do this during University to cope with the workload). Do not over worry about not completing things to the right standard, just give it your best attempt. :smile:

If you are feeling unwell, do take care of yourself. Really do not neglect your health over your studies. To cope with stress, ensure you maintain a work-life balance, whether that just be taking a short walk or having chats with friends, these will all help. :biggrin:

Speaking to your University is definitely a good choice. Until you ask them, you will not know the outcome, so explain your situation to them and seek help from people near you. Even if you think they may not be valid excuses, you are certainly feeling stressed at the moment, and asking for help can perhaps help to relieve some of it. Your University may also be able to refer you to the right people that can assist you.

I hope this helps.
I know studying can be really difficult and stressful sometimes, but I'm sure you can do it. Good luck! :smile:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending