The Student Room Group

Army self harm rejection

Hi,

my name is Brandon (16) I have been denied from the army due to self harm, i have appealed against the decision once already and the conclusion was me getting denied I can appeal again but I don't know weather it would make a difference .

I have been to see my doctor and from there point of view, mine and my family's I am mentally and physically fit I have self harmed 3-5 times in my life and they where all around the same time the reasoning behind the self harm was because I am gay and I was not comfortable in myself I am now in a much better place and feel comfortable in myself . I feel like I would make a great asset to the army. I feel like I should not be discriminated against because of bad moments in my life.

I don't know what to do can someone give me some advice.
Reply 1
Original post by b_benjamin
Hi,

my name is Brandon (16) I have been denied from the army due to self harm, i have appealed against the decision once already and the conclusion was me getting denied I can appeal again but I don't know weather it would make a difference .

I have been to see my doctor and from there point of view, mine and my family's I am mentally and physically fit I have self harmed 3-5 times in my life and they where all around the same time the reasoning behind the self harm was because I am gay and I was not comfortable in myself I am now in a much better place and feel comfortable in myself . I feel like I would make a great asset to the army. I feel like I should not be discriminated against because of bad moments in my life.

I don't know what to do can someone give me some advice.

Your reasons for wanting to join the army are admirable but try to look at this from the army's perspective. There are no easy experiences in the army, and there is a strong possibility you will die or be incapacitated if you are deployed in war. Army life can be very hard, very unpleasant, very stressful and at at times down right extremely painful. You have to have a very strong mindset to cope with that. If you are in the army and under great stress, or on a battlefield and can't cope with the pressure you cannot get out of that situation easily - How have you previously dealt with any stress or pressures in your life regardless of the cause? If you have used self harm to cope with stress previously there is a greater potential that you will resort to using the same coping strategy again. The army has a duty of care to prevent harm to you given the situations it knows it is going to expose you to. Someone on the Army medical assessment panel will have reviewed your application and decided the risk is too great or assessed your application and knocked you back on a pre published medical fitness criteria list. This is not discrimination it is being sensible.

Many excellent candidates cannot join the armed forces for all kinds of medical reasons. Without those specific medical conditions those candidates would be likely to do exceptionally well. This affects many many good people. But as one door closes, another one opens. Stay positive, and keep searching for a job that you feel you will excel at but don't necessarily need strict medical requirements. Research any job role well before you apply. One day you will never look back and this moment will be history. Don't let the rejection of just one career aspiration knock you back and stop your drive to succeed. The world is waiting and you have so many jobs to explore.
Reply 2
Ex-RAF Recruiter, but as the military all work to the same basic standards for medicals my comments cover the Army too.

Some of the factors considered in cases of self-harm are: the number of occasions it was done; how close to the application, ie within the 2 years prior; the stressors and the motivation, ie stress relief or more serious.

Agree with the above as the only people with the knowledge and experience to decide if you could cope with military training and life are those with the knowledge and experience: the Army doctors. That's not to say you couldn't try reapplying in future, but it very much depends on the reason for the rejection.

Quick Reply

Latest