The Student Room Group

why are people surprised that my(m18) girlfriend(f18) is pretty?

i’ve been with this girl, sasha for about a year. she’s really pretty, armenian and german with olive skin and dark hair. i’ve always been a bit insecure and couldn’t believe that she liked me for while during the start of our relationship. i’ve just felt like she’s too good for me even though i know she loves me as much as i love her

i’ve been trying to build my confidence but it’s hard. i feel like every time someone meets her they are surprised that she looks the way she does. here are some of the things i’ve heard people say to me or her:
“woah you’re so pretty, i was NOT expecting you to look like that”
“was that your girlfriend? she’s actually REALLY pretty”
“wow… jake (buddy of mine) is going to be sooo jealous (of me for getting my girlfriend)”

along with this, many people have literally congratulated me in the halls at school after seeing me and Sasha together.

i work out and am in great shape. i’m definitely above average but i can’t help but think if i was more attractive people would t say these things.
Reply 1
You and my boyfriend share very similar feelings. We have been together over 7 months now, and he feel that he does not deserve me, and that I am out of his league completely. Others have made comments to me saying that I “can do better” or even telling me my ex was more attractive. I simply brush off these comments because I love my boyfriend, and I know that no one would treat me as good as he does. The reason people are probably so surprised most likely because, yes your girlfriend is very attractive, and people are shocked you landed someone as attractive as her. That’s not saying you’re unattractive, but it’s very possible people believe she is out of your league, and even envious or jealous. Just remember that your girlfriend loves you! No matter what there will always be someone making comments, whether those be positive or negative, but that has no power over your relationship. You should be confident in yourself and keep in mind that she’s with you for a reason, and the only opinion that matters is yours, and your girlfriends. It’s easier said than done, but try not to let negative comments get to you, if you know she loves you, then that’s all that truly matters.
Original post by Anonymous
i’ve been with this girl, sasha for about a year. she’s really pretty, armenian and german with olive skin and dark hair. i’ve always been a bit insecure and couldn’t believe that she liked me for while during the start of our relationship. i’ve just felt like she’s too good for me even though i know she loves me as much as i love her

i’ve been trying to build my confidence but it’s hard. i feel like every time someone meets her they are surprised that she looks the way she does. here are some of the things i’ve heard people say to me or her:
“woah you’re so pretty, i was NOT expecting you to look like that”
“was that your girlfriend? she’s actually REALLY pretty”
“wow… jake (buddy of mine) is going to be sooo jealous (of me for getting my girlfriend)”

along with this, many people have literally congratulated me in the halls at school after seeing me and Sasha together.

i work out and am in great shape. i’m definitely above average but i can’t help but think if i was more attractive people would t say these things.

I've been in your exact shoes my friend. Just don't let it get to you. Don't think your not enough. If you let any insecurity show about this (besides PERHAPS mentioning it once if you want your girlfriend to know?) then it will ruin what you've got then she'll leave.

Not because you're not attractive enough but because you'd then be insecure and that's not attractive for any woman. They might say it's OK to make you feel better but it will turn them off.

Also do not subconsciously take it out on her or resent her for it in anyway.

If she see's value in you enough to be with you then your doing the right thing.

It's hard to take it as a compliment cos it does sound like such a slap in the face but other people's perceptions do not matter. Only your girlfriend's does.

There's a surprising amount of girls who go for someone because of their personality and that they respect them, care for them, don't put them down etc...

IF you break up at some point make sure the breakup is calm and peaceful and that you show her that your confident and comfortable enough that you can find someone as pretty/prettier than her. Treat her respectfully, back away and don't let these feelings you have come bubbling to the surface.

That way you won't turn her off permanently and have more chance of getting her back in future.

Just be confident in yourself and know she's not chosen you because she feel's sorry for you because no girl does that.

You have stuff she see's in you that she don't in others. And if you've got a girl like her once you sure as hell are capable of doing it again by being yourself!

Keep hitting the gym, studying hard, catching some sun this summer and treating your woman right and I wish you all the best! I'm on your side bro. You got this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending