The Student Room Group

Can I do anything about my landlord?

Hi,

I am a university student in a student house and I have been living in student houses for 3 years. I have been fine in my previous accommodations but the one I am currently in I signed out of haste as I needed to get accommodation sorted and the people in the house seemed nice. Unfortunately due to the rise in energy costs we are way over budget. Our landlord has basically for bills basically only given us around £5 per person per week so it's £1500 + £400 from the government. Checking previous accommodations I have lived in the energy caps were £2500 and £4000. I believe the landlord has deliberately lowered the cap so that we'd go over. Unfortunately this is contracted so I doubt we can do anything but I just find it bizarre that the landlord would clearly know about the rise in energy costs and make the cap/how much of our rent goes to bills so low? Is there anything we can do or contact to get support around this? I know most likely nothing will happen but if I can try anything I will.
Hi,

I actually had the exact same thing happen to me last year! We thought that out of our rent payments £13/week per person was going towards bills as that is what we were told, but later it turned out that it was only £10/week per person so we massively went over the cap and ended up having to lose some of our deposits. Sorry this has happened but there is likely nothing you can do (unless there is some kind of evidence that you thought it was higher or that you were told that it was higher) but I imagine the contract doesn't say this.

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by UoS PG students
Hi,

I actually had the exact same thing happen to me last year! We thought that out of our rent payments £13/week per person was going towards bills as that is what we were told, but later it turned out that it was only £10/week per person so we massively went over the cap and ended up having to lose some of our deposits. Sorry this has happened but there is likely nothing you can do (unless there is some kind of evidence that you thought it was higher or that you were told that it was higher) but I imagine the contract doesn't say this.

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador

Thank you for the reply, I've also contacted my university to see if they can help but I know likely nothing will happen I just wished this fair usage policy worked both ways because I feel like what he has done is criminal during the cost of living crisis it's like being robbed in daylight. But yeh I think unlike your case we did agree to this cap, I just wished i checked the contract better this time as I have done in the past I just assumed i'd be ok :frown: thanks anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending