The Student Room Group

Allergic

What are the most common symptoms of an allergic reaction?

How can I tell if I'm having an allergic reaction or if it's something else?

Are there any specific types of allergies that cause more severe symptoms than others?

What should I do if I suspect I'm having an allergic reaction?

Can allergic reactions occur suddenly, or is there usually some warning beforehand?

Are there any preventative measures I can take to avoid having an allergic reaction?

Is it possible to develop an allergy later in life, or are allergies typically present from birth?

Can allergic reactions be life-threatening, and if so, how can I best prepare for that possibility?

What are some common triggers for allergic reactions, and how can I avoid them?

Are there any over-the-counter medications or treatments that can help alleviate the symptoms of an allergic reaction?
Reply 1
I will preface this by saying I am not a doctor however I do have a peanut/nut allergy. Please seek medical attention if you are experiencing an allergic reaction.

What are the most common symptoms of an allergic reaction?- tingling in the mouth, itchy eyes, itchy tongue, rashes, nausea/ vomiting and maybe even struggling to breath

How can I tell if I'm having an allergic reaction or if it's something else?- I would go to your GP to explain to them your symptoms and seek their advice.

Are there any specific types of allergies that cause more severe symptoms than others?- it really depends how bad the allergy is. For example, I have a more severe reaction to peanuts that almonds.

What should I do if I suspect I'm having an allergic reaction?- call 111 for their advice if you do not feel you are in immediate danger/ anaphylaxis. If you do feel it is an emergency call 999. I would also take an allergy tablet (piriton for example) as this may be beneficial if you are having a reaction but won't be harmful as a one off if it is not required.

Can allergic reactions occur suddenly, or is there usually some warning beforehand?- There may be symptoms that come on (I get puffy lips) before a big reaction. However for some people an anaphylaxis may come on very quickly I believe.

Are there any preventative measures I can take to avoid having an allergic reaction?- avoid the thing causing you to have the symptoms. Have an allergy tablet if its something like hay fever and you know you will be going outside.

Is it possible to develop an allergy later in life, or are allergies typically present from birth?- Yes I developed mine at 12 so definitely a possibility

Can allergic reactions be life-threatening, and if so, how can I best prepare for that possibility?- yes, this is called anaphylaxis where the throat starts to swell and can even prevent breathing. Speak to your GP about being prescribed epipens/jext pens

What are some common triggers for allergic reactions, and how can I avoid them?- it really depends on the type of allergy. For example I know lots of Thai food has nuts, so I am extra cautious about what I eat. I also let the waiting staff know about my allergy

Are there any over-the-counter medications or treatments that can help alleviate the symptoms of an allergic reaction- yes, hay fever/allergy tablets/antihistamine such as piriton, certirazene

I really hope this helped in some way
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
See your doctor.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
See your doctor.

I VISIT HEAL 360 NEAR ME
Reply 4
Original post by Fhessey
I will preface this by saying I am not a doctor however I do have a peanut/nut allergy. Please seek medical attention if you are experiencing an allergic reaction.

What are the most common symptoms of an allergic reaction?- tingling in the mouth, itchy eyes, itchy tongue, rashes, nausea/ vomiting and maybe even struggling to breath

How can I tell if I'm having an allergic reaction or if it's something else?- I would go to your GP to explain to them your symptoms and seek their advice.

Are there any specific types of allergies that cause more severe symptoms than others?- it really depends how bad the allergy is. For example, I have a more severe reaction to peanuts that almonds.

What should I do if I suspect I'm having an allergic reaction?- call 111 for their advice if you do not feel you are in immediate danger/ anaphylaxis. If you do feel it is an emergency call 999. I would also take an allergy tablet (piriton for example) as this may be beneficial if you are having a reaction but won't be harmful as a one off if it is not required.

Can allergic reactions occur suddenly, or is there usually some warning beforehand?- There may be symptoms that come on (I get puffy lips) before a big reaction. However for some people an anaphylaxis may come on very quickly I believe.

Are there any preventative measures I can take to avoid having an allergic reaction?- avoid the thing causing you to have the symptoms. Have an allergy tablet if its something like hay fever and you know you will be going outside.

Is it possible to develop an allergy later in life, or are allergies typically present from birth?- Yes I developed mine at 12 so definitely a possibility

Can allergic reactions be life-threatening, and if so, how can I best prepare for that possibility?- yes, this is called anaphylaxis where the throat starts to swell and can even prevent breathing. Speak to your GP about being prescribed epipens/jext pens

What are some common triggers for allergic reactions, and how can I avoid them?- it really depends on the type of allergy. For example I know lots of Thai food has nuts, so I am extra cautious about what I eat. I also let the waiting staff know about my allergy

Are there any over-the-counter medications or treatments that can help alleviate the symptoms of an allergic reaction- yes, hay fever/allergy tablets/antihistamine such as piriton, certirazene

I really hope this helped in some way

thanks so much dear

Quick Reply

Latest