The Student Room Group

Can I become a software developer without a levels

I’m thinking of dropping out of a levels as I’m very far behind and I’m close to year 12 AS exams . If I drop out, get azure certification as a devops engineer expert and build experience on the side and do a level 3 apprenticeship in software development can I get away with not having any a levels to my name and still land a job as a software developer. Is it possible. If so how possible?
Original post by xbdulkxrim
I’m thinking of dropping out of a levels as I’m very far behind and I’m close to year 12 AS exams . If I drop out, get azure certification as a devops engineer expert and build experience on the side and do a level 3 apprenticeship in software development can I get away with not having any a levels to my name and still land a job as a software developer. Is it possible. If so how possible?

You need to find a way to engineer software on your own . have you tried to find software that will allow you to practice engineering .
Yes. A level 3 apprenticeship qualification is equivalent to A levels.

Though, Universities may ask you to sit a foundation degree or demonstrate further learning (likely programming and/or math) if studying full time. You could instead do a degree apprenticeship in software design/engineering after your level 3.
Reply 3
Original post by Chris2892
Yes. A level 3 apprenticeship qualification is equivalent to A levels.

Though, Universities may ask you to sit a foundation degree or demonstrate further learning (likely programming and/or math) if studying full time. You could instead do a degree apprenticeship in software design/engineering after your level 3.

Can I land a job with out going university for a degree or degree apprenticeship though
Original post by xbdulkxrim
Can I land a job with out going university for a degree or degree apprenticeship though

I can only speak for engineering fields.

For software engineering, a level 3 would land you an engineering technician level role, not a graduate level role.

It’s possible to be promoted up to an engineering role with experience and without a degree. They may also fund a part time degree either because of your development goals, or their requirements for promotion to engineer.

It’s possible, but it really depends on the employer and your performance on the job. A degree would take away most of the uncertainty.

I get your reluctance, I didn’t want to go to uni, and I didn’t f enjoy the study when I did it, but I did a degree apprenticeship and learnt on the job - which made it worth it.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending