The Student Room Group

Choosing a relationship over friendship

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice as this is a new one for me. My best friend of 5 years met her boyfriend back in November 2022 and since then has significantly changed, and not in a good way. This has been noticed by numerous people, not just myself. Prior to her meeting this boy, we were absolutely inseparable, as best friends often are. I’m not naive to the fact that new relationships take up a lot of your time and energy, but this feels slightly unhealthy. Unless it is an event/occasion which she has to attend, my friend will turn down almost all social invites. Getting her to come out whether day or night has become almost impossible. She is also addicted to her phone and texting this guy, when we are together she will sit all night on messenger to the boyfriend, with no thoughts given to my feelings. Yet during the weekends when she is almost always with her boyfriend, I struggle to get even a one word reply, and the excuse will be that she wasn’t on her phone…

It has been hard for me as we have gone from speaking every day to going days without speaking, usually because she doesn’t reply to me. The most worrying thing is that to myself and many other people, she is totally miserable. There is no spark in her, no excitement, no drive to try new things, no energy. I don’t recognise her anymore. What should I do?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice as this is a new one for me. My best friend of 5 years met her boyfriend back in November 2022 and since then has significantly changed, and not in a good way. This has been noticed by numerous people, not just myself. Prior to her meeting this boy, we were absolutely inseparable, as best friends often are. I’m not naive to the fact that new relationships take up a lot of your time and energy, but this feels slightly unhealthy. Unless it is an event/occasion which she has to attend, my friend will turn down almost all social invites. Getting her to come out whether day or night has become almost impossible. She is also addicted to her phone and texting this guy, when we are together she will sit all night on messenger to the boyfriend, with no thoughts given to my feelings. Yet during the weekends when she is almost always with her boyfriend, I struggle to get even a one word reply, and the excuse will be that she wasn’t on her phone…

It has been hard for me as we have gone from speaking every day to going days without speaking, usually because she doesn’t reply to me. The most worrying thing is that to myself and many other people, she is totally miserable. There is no spark in her, no excitement, no drive to try new things, no energy. I don’t recognise her anymore. What should I do?

Seems like she's trying to avoid you. If you think she's doing it on purpose, then there's no point begging her to keep her friendship with you. Just move on and let her do her things.
Yah I agree with you. It seems like she's purposely ignoring you. You should try and find new friends. I know it might be difficult as you have been friends for 5 years and she's been a constant in your life but, people do change. Or maybe you should try talking to her as she's been feeling distant and unhappy but after doing this and she doesn't respond - then definitely move on.
Original post by Meheraj
Seems like she's trying to avoid you. If you think she's doing it on purpose, then there's no point begging her to keep her friendship with you. Just move on and let her do her things.
Choosing a relationship over a friendship might seem strange to you, but if they were married it would seem normal to prioritise a spouse over a friend, would it not? Perhaps she sees a long term future with this guy and therefore her priorities have changed.

Granted there's no reason why she can't be sociable with friends as well as being in a relationship, but still it's her decision. You can't really do anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending