The Student Room Group

I like my boy best friend

I think he likes me too but I don’t want anything to happen because what if it doesn’t work out
Just think what would be worse for you - the regret of trying and failing or the regret of never trying at all. Personally the second one would haunt me more.
Original post by Anonymous
I think he likes me too but I don’t want anything to happen because what if it doesn’t work out

I'm assuming you're a teenager, in which case that is a very common concern to have in situations like this. In reality, though, the concern is overblown. Your lives will change a lot in the next five, ten or twenty years. You'll become new people, do different things, and make new friends. Whilst you're best friends now, there's no guarantee that you'll even speak regularly in ten years' time. The answer to 'what if it doesn't work out' is that you'll either go back to being friends, or perhaps you won't, in which case you'll lose the friendship. And that would be a shame, but you'll have plenty of other friendships over time. It's entirely normal for friendships to strengthen, weaken, or end entirely as time goes on for a whole host of reasons. I got into a (very short lived) relationship with a good female friend at school, and we went back to being good friends afterwards. There was another very good female friend who decided she didn't want to get into a relationship with me for fear of spoiling our friendship. And guess what? Twenty or so years later, I don't speak to either of them anymore. Not out of choice; I spoke to both of them quite regularly for several years after school, and they both came to my 21st birthday. But things move on, people change, and friendships change. I'm happily married with kids now and so is the girl who turned down the relationships, so there's no regret there at all, but it shows that there really wasn't any reason not to give the relationship a go when we were in school.

Similarly, there's no reason to not act on your attraction here for fear of losing this friendship, because you just don't know what's going to happen in future. If you both like each other and want to take things further, take things further. Even if it doesn't work out, your best friend is a very good choice to gain more experience in relationships with, because you already know each other well. I think you should absolutely go for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending