The Student Room Group

Mitigating circumstances

So yesterday my brother was driving me back to uni when he crashed his car. We are both okay but im a bit shaken up. I had an assignment due in today at 16:00 but I wasn’t able to hand it on time. Do u think they’ll give me an extension for the coursework. I have a picture of the crash but I don’t know if they’ll ask for insurance and stuff like that (which I don’t understand)
Reply 1
Possibly, but it's not immediately clear why you couldn't submit when you presumably had weeks to do it. If you can make that case then your odds improve.
If I was reviewing this I would want to know specifically how the crash prevented you from submitting on time.
I would also look closely at the supporting evidence - a photo of the car is unlikely to be enough without additional corroborating evidence.
Original post by cheadle
If I was reviewing this I would want to know specifically how the crash prevented you from submitting on time.
I would also look closely at the supporting evidence - a photo of the car is unlikely to be enough without additional corroborating evidence.

I guess I’m just a really sensitive person but I was just scared and crying the whole time ( i didn’t get any sleep that night). The assignment was the last thing on my mind and when I finally did remember the assignment it was to late to get it handed in on time.
Also I’ve emailed the student support and well-being service and they’ve said that they can write an email that I can also use as evidence
Reply 4
Original post by Munch Munchy
So yesterday my brother was driving me back to uni when he crashed his car. We are both okay but im a bit shaken up. I had an assignment due in today at 16:00 but I wasn’t able to hand it on time. Do u think they’ll give me an extension for the coursework. I have a picture of the crash but I don’t know if they’ll ask for insurance and stuff like that (which I don’t understand)

How long ago did they give the assignment ? If it was months ago they may allow a couple of hours delay due to the accident if you can provide a police report or a copy of your declaration to the insurance company. I can’t see them extending it for more than that though.
The best thing to do is speak to the tutor responsible for the assignment.
I guess I’m just a really sensitive person but I was just scared and crying the whole time ( i didn’t get any sleep that night). The assignment was the last thing on my mind and when I finally did remember the assignment it was to late to get it handed in on time.

That's an acceptable explanation - so the assignment was more or less done - the impact of the crash was on those 24 hours in the lead up to the submission deadline. I suppose the next question is, have you now submitted, or will you at least submit before the late period lapses and it becomes a non-submission by default?

Also I’ve emailed the student support and well-being service and they’ve said that they can write an email that I can also use as evidence.

Yes, this may help to support your application.
Original post by Euapp
How long ago did they give the assignment ? If it was months ago they may allow a couple of hours delay due to the accident if you can provide a police report or a copy of your declaration to the insurance company. I can’t see them extending it for more than that though.
The best thing to do is speak to the tutor responsible for the assignment.

2 weeks ago and I don’t think I can do that. I don’t want to ask my brother to send me all of that information because he’ll probably feel even more guilty that I’ve missed my deadline because of it.
I’ve managed to hand it in its just that I want to get rid of the 10% deduction from my grade
Original post by cheadle

That's an acceptable explanation - so the assignment was more or less done - the impact of the crash was on those 24 hours in the lead up to the submission deadline. I suppose the next question is, have you now submitted, or will you at least submit before the late period lapses and it becomes a non-submission by default?

Also I’ve emailed the student support and well-being service and they’ve said that they can write an email that I can also use as evidence.

Yes, this may help to support your application.

Yeah I’ve managed to finish it but I just want to get rid of the 10% deduction on my grade
Reply 8
Original post by Munch Munchy
2 weeks ago and I don’t think I can do that. I don’t want to ask my brother to send me all of that information because he’ll probably feel even more guilty that I’ve missed my deadline because of it.
I’ve managed to hand it in its just that I want to get rid of the 10% deduction from my grade

Does your brother not know that you have missed the deadline?? If he did I would imagine he would do everything in his power to help you out and would actually be quite annoyed that you didn’t ask him to provide the documents. I know my son would be doing everything in his power to help his little sister.
I just want to get rid of the 10% deduction on my grade

A 10% hit isn't too bad though. Better than being capped at 40% .
This is what you get for being a munch, dude!!! Instead of attending to your assignment and doing it with the quickness, you put it on ice and just sat on your ass. Now you are looking for a way out of the earned consequences.
Anyway, I believe the crash should count as a mitigating factor, just add some spice to the story to make it more touching. Let your pen cry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending