The Student Room Group

Is a second Masters worth it? or should I do an MBA? maybe both?

Hello. I am a mechanical engineer from imperial college. I want to work as business data analyst /consultant (role:business development).

Doing my masters now...dont like it. Dont like uni or Engineering.
Want: Second masters at oxford, social data science in 2 academic years. (have the money)
Year in between: Work as intern. Maybe a data science bootcamp?
Scared: Have wasted my 20s doing masters and will be older without anything to show in industry. Also, in the likely scenario I require an MBA, I am wasting even more time out of work force.

What should i do? I really wanted to do the masters out of enjoyment, and have money to do it. HELP
How significant is the money to you? Let’s say there is an opportunity cost of £100k. Is that a meaningful amount in your life?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
How significant is the money to you? Let’s say there is an opportunity cost of £100k. Is that a meaningful amount in your life?

My parents said the would be okay paying for the masters. And i dont think id earn 100k in a year. Money is a factor, but also like studying
MBA not suitable unless you've got a few years managerial experience.

Second Masters could be a good way to change direction, but as noted it's costly which makes it a personal decision. If you were at work doing something vaguely related, or had the chance to train up on the job, I would say no way.

Concerned that you said that you don't like uni, (or just your current uni?). You could find the same anywhere.
Original post by NIWISE
Hello. I am a mechanical engineer from imperial college. I want to work as business data analyst /consultant (role:business development).

Doing my masters now...dont like it. Dont like uni or Engineering.
Want: Second masters at oxford, social data science in 2 academic years. (have the money)
Year in between: Work as intern. Maybe a data science bootcamp?
Scared: Have wasted my 20s doing masters and will be older without anything to show in industry. Also, in the likely scenario I require an MBA, I am wasting even more time out of work force.

What should i do? I really wanted to do the masters out of enjoyment, and have money to do it. HELP

As above, an MBA isn't appropriate. You don't do a (useful) MBA until you have at least 5 years professional experience under your belt.

I'd say, get a job (not an internship) in an area that is as close to data science as possible (in a team that uses it for example) and leverage that into an application in a few years time.

No point in being scared of wasted years, it just 'wastes' more time. Anyway, on reflection these choices should always have taught you something and led you somewhere else in life.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
As above, an MBA isn't appropriate. You don't do a (useful) MBA until you have at least 5 years professional experience under your belt.

I'd say, get a job (not an internship) in an area that is as close to data science as possible (in a team that uses it for example) and leverage that into an application in a few years time.

No point in being scared of wasted years, it just 'wastes' more time. Anyway, on reflection these choices should always have taught you something and led you somewhere else in life.

Original post by Admit-One
MBA not suitable unless you've got a few years managerial experience.

Second Masters could be a good way to change direction, but as noted it's costly which makes it a personal decision. If you were at work doing something vaguely related, or had the chance to train up on the job, I would say no way.

Concerned that you said that you don't like uni, (or just your current uni?). You could find the same anywhere.

Agreed. I only ponder the possibility of doing an MBA when I am 29 or so. I believe that the partial reason of wanting to do a second master's is to attend an elite university. Yes, I know its a silly reason. But it is something that I have always wanted to do, be a part of such a bubble. Note, that I also want to do it because I want to study more. it is not 'just for the name'. The thing is, I have always had it as my goal, and it is what has driven me to become a good student, not money, nor anything else....just being a part of oxford. and now, after years of hard work, believe I have become the person that CAN attend these universities, and therefore believe I have earned it to finally go.
Original post by NIWISE
Agreed. I only ponder the possibility of doing an MBA when I am 29 or so. I believe that the partial reason of wanting to do a second master's is to attend an elite university. Yes, I know its a silly reason. But it is something that I have always wanted to do, be a part of such a bubble. Note, that I also want to do it because I want to study more. it is not 'just for the name'. The thing is, I have always had it as my goal, and it is what has driven me to become a good student, not money, nor anything else....just being a part of oxford. and now, after years of hard work, believe I have become the person that CAN attend these universities, and therefore believe I have earned it to finally go.

In that case I’d say you sound pretty well motivated to apply and achieve whilst you’re there.

I would not let your age colour your judgment. I look after masters recruitment at my uni and although the cohort skews younger, we also get lots of people who are in their late 20’s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending