The Student Room Group

Chipped tooth fixing cost?

I’ve chipped my front tooth badly where the nerve is exposed. What will be the cheapest way to get this fixed? Is it a filling? Or bonding? Bonding looks extremely expensive like £500! How much is a chipped tooth procedure likely to cost?

It’s really painful and I need it fixed sometime this week before I go on holiday but what happens if I literally can’t afford to get it fixed. Will they do something at least to make it less painful?
Sorry to hear this young lady/man - are you a hockey player? [I had two teeth broken playing this super sport!] You might need root canal treatment and/or a crown, depending on the severity & extent of damage. If you are a student [oc you are!!] UNDER 19, you can get free NHS dental treatment - there is a cheaper NHS version of a crown and endodontic treatment [endo] can be FOC under some conditions.

In the meantime, get cocodamol 8/500 [8mg codeine + 500mg paracetamol][take no more than 8 tablets in any 24-hr period [I assume you are over 12]] from pharmacy [cocodamol 30/500 can only be prescribed by a doctor] PLUS crush a couple of cloves and rub into the tooth - jointly, these measures will help relieve pain.

Speak to your dentist t-rrow to find out [I am a medic not a dental surgeon, so pls do not take all above as Bible!

Good luck!

M.
Are you with an NHS dentist? If so I think fillings/root canals come in the second band which is about £60. I'm not so sure about bonding. And honestly I doubt you will get it sorted before your holiday, but you should be able to get an emergency dentist appointment, hopefully they will give you painkillers, and also the longer you leave it the more likely it is to get worse. If you're not with the NHS though it will of course be much more expensive, but £500 still seems kind of crazy. Based on my own experience I would guess more like £200/300 tops. The dentist will be able to give you an estimate as to how much it will cost before any treatment though.

Quick Reply

Latest