The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year and reapply to Oxbridge, or go to UCL?

Hi all,
I'm currently in Year 13 and about to do A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths and I applied to uni for Biochemistry last October for Oxbridge deadlines.

I got offers from Southampton, Bath, and UCL, but I was rejected post-interview from Oxford and from Imperial College. It really hit me hard when oxford rejected me, and I spent about a month really unsure of what to do (this was before UCL gave me an offer).

The last few weeks, I've been researching the idea of taking a gap year and re-applying for Oxford (Or maybe NatSci at Cambridge). I'm predicted A*A*A*A*, so my grades shouldn't be an issue, and I've done a lot of research on what I did wrong and on a bunch of further reading and MOOCs I can do to make a stronger application.

I guess my question is: should I? On one hand my dream was always to go to Oxford, I love the city and the college and how they teach. Not doing it feels like I'm missing out on an opportunity, or giving up. On the other hand, it would mean declining my offer at UCL, which is an amazing school and just below Oxford for life sciences, and there's no guarantee that I will get it again. I know I would be happy at UCL but there's that nagging feeling that I would always regret not taking that chance.

If anybody has gone through anything similar or has any advice, it would be really appreciated!
Did you get feedback on your post-interview rejection? Did it indicate there were things you could reasonably improve in a gap year to reapply?
I would hold off until you get your results to decide this.

If you get the grades that you expect then I would say go for it and take a gap year and reapply. It might be worth planning in a gap year (maybe get a yini placement?) either way so you aren’t stressing about cancelling accommodation contracts etc.

There’s a risk that you might not get an offer from UCL again (but if your dream is Oxford then UCL and London probably isn’t a great fit for you anyway) but it sounds like if you don’t give it a shot then you’ll be plagued by “what-ifs”.
Original post by PQ

If you get the grades that you expect then I would say go for it and take a gap year and reapply. It might be worth planning in a gap year (maybe get a yini placement?) either way so you aren’t stressing about cancelling accommodation contracts etc.

There’s a risk that you might not get an offer from UCL again (but if your dream is Oxford then UCL and London probably isn’t a great fit for you anyway) but it sounds like if you don’t give it a shot then you’ll be plagued by “what-ifs”.

I agree with this. I think you should wait to see your grades and then reapply for sure!! All the best with your studies, I hope everything goes well for you and as you hope!
Yep I agree with the above - just to add, might you be interested in doing a masters? You could go to ucl then apply to Oxbridge for a masters?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Did you get feedback on your post-interview rejection? Did it indicate there were things you could reasonably improve in a gap year to reapply?

Not really. I applied to Trinity College, and they tend to give more broad statements for everybody who applied. I did get 6 out of 7 in the interview (which was a passing grade), so I guess it must have come down to mistakes I made during the interview to lose me that final mark.
Reply 6
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Yep I agree with the above - just to add, might you be interested in doing a masters? You could go to ucl then apply to Oxbridge for a masters?

Yeah I definitely thought about doing a Master's degree. I applied for an Msci in Biochemistry at UCL, but I can always not do the final year and apply elsewhere. My only issues with that is MSc loans are different from undergraduate and I would have to pay off both loans simultaneously, plus I wouldn't really get an 'education' at Oxford, more so I would be doing research there.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

Yeah that was my plan! I'm hoping for at least 3A* (Further Maths being my main reason for not expecting 4 :frown:) before I would consider applying, as I found out through a lot of research that having a strong A-Level grade goes a very long way in making a competitive application.

In terms of the risk, I'm quite aware of the risk and that's why the choice is so difficult. After all, if it was pretty much guaranteed then my choice would be a lot easier, and it would only be taking a gap year. I do love both universities, I've been to open days at both and the atmospheres were different but I was a big fan of both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending