The Student Room Group

'apply anyways' approach for jobs

Hello guys,

I hope you are well. I have been applying to lots of jobs recently that I fit like only 40%- 60% of the written criteria for. I have actually been getting lots of interviews to my surprise but no offers.

This issue I'm having with the whole 'apply anyways/ see when we get there/ fake it till you make it' approach is that it seems to clearly work fine in sift but i'm finding very difficult to make only 50% of the job criteria sound good in the interview if that makes sense.

I feel i'm partially overthinking it because I've read no person should fit 100% of the criteria anyway and if you do then you are making a bad career switch. Also if I'm making it to interview, they must see something in me?

In my interviews I have also made it clear that any professional shortcomings/ weaknesses I have I am committed to learning on the job.

I am grateful for your guidance, appreciate it.
Personally I think you need to start with values. Obviously everyone needs a job to pay the bills but, if you want a career, it should be something that really connects with you. Don't waste your time applying for things that don't really interest you or aren't taking you towards a goal.

What is important to you?
What company or organisation fits your values?
Connect with people at those companies/organisations on LinkedIn.
Research those companies/organisations.
Target your applications.

I work in the NHS and we have thousands of vacancies in all sorts of areas. Admin, finance, HR - it's not all clinical.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Are you disabled?

The easiest way to get a job is to be disabled and be guaranteed a job interview under a guaranteed interview scheme.

This is really offensive. Being guaranteed an interview is no guarantee of getting the job. These initiatives allow people who are under-represented in the workplace get an opportunity to make their pitch. That's all.
Original post by SandraNG
This is really offensive. Being guaranteed an interview is no guarantee of getting the job. These initiatives allow people who are under-represented in the workplace get an opportunity to make their pitch. That's all.

Being guaranteed a job interview is better than no job interview at all :rolleyes:
Original post by Amiit10
Hello guys,

I hope you are well. I have been applying to lots of jobs recently that I fit like only 40%- 60% of the written criteria for. I have actually been getting lots of interviews to my surprise but no offers.

This issue I'm having with the whole 'apply anyways/ see when we get there/ fake it till you make it' approach is that it seems to clearly work fine in sift but i'm finding very difficult to make only 50% of the job criteria sound good in the interview if that makes sense.

I feel i'm partially overthinking it because I've read no person should fit 100% of the criteria anyway and if you do then you are making a bad career switch. Also if I'm making it to interview, they must see something in me?

In my interviews I have also made it clear that any professional shortcomings/ weaknesses I have I am committed to learning on the job.

I am grateful for your guidance, appreciate it.

applying for a role which you are 100% a fit for leaves no room for stretch and personal growth. You need to emphasise your desire to improve yourself, take on new challenges, engage in continuous ongoing development - that sort of thing.
Being guaranteed a job interview is better than no job interview at all :rolleyes:

Not if you get rejected. Then it’s just extra stress and effort preparing for an interview for a job you had no chance of getting
Original post by PQ
Not if you get rejected. Then it’s just extra stress and effort preparing for an interview for a job you had no chance of getting

If you get rejected before the interview stage then why apply?
Reply 7

That's not how the guaranteed interview scheme works...?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guaranteed-interview-scheme

'offers guaranteed interviews to applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum requirements for the job they are applying for'

I've shifted out tens of people who have declared eligibility for the guaranteed interview scheme where they've not met the minimum threshold.

Though I'd grant you many folk don't actually realise that's how it works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending