The Student Room Group

Doctrate In Clinical Psychology

Hi Everyone!
I am currently a second year undergraduate, planning to be a clinical psychologist. I am not what route to follow as there are many but i do want to finish my docotrate as soon as possible. i am not sure whether i should do a masters then work outside then apply or work completely for a few years and then apply.

i would some honest opinion about what would be preferrably a more practical and easier route to get into the phd course.

also a list of where i could get research experience would be great.
Reply 1
Original post by rachilami
Hi Everyone!
I am currently a second year undergraduate, planning to be a clinical psychologist. I am not what route to follow as there are many but i do want to finish my docotrate as soon as possible. i am not sure whether i should do a masters then work outside then apply or work completely for a few years and then apply.

i would some honest opinion about what would be preferrably a more practical and easier route to get into the phd course.

also a list of where i could get research experience would be great.

Hi!

To become a Clinical Psychologist, you need to complete professional doctorate training (DClinPsy), which is different to a PhD (which is an academic doctorate).

It is an extremely competitive course, so the more qualifications and experience you have, the better. Having an Msc would certainly boost your application, but gaining relevant work experience is vital. Many people look at Assistant Psychologist roles, which means these are also highly competitive. A good place to start might be looking at support worker or healthcare assistant roles in a relevant field, such as mental health. I started my journey as a support worker for a private company in learning disabilities, then moved into an NHS role on a mental health ward. They're not well-paid roles, generally, but they offer great experience. Other routes could include training as a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner, working as a recovery worker in a drug and alcohol service (another role I did previously), or other roles in mental health services.

Realistically, it would be unlikely you would gain a place on the doctorate with one year of experience and no MSc, as people apply for this course after years of experience and additional training. I don't want to put you off, but you should be prepared for a long slog! If it is a field you are passionate about, there is a lot to be gained from every step towards it, so just enjoy the journey as much as you can!

Quick Reply

Latest