The Student Room Group

Choosing masters

Hi, I am graduating from my psychology undergrad this year and had a few offers for my masters, but having a bit of a stress about which course to choose. I am currently volunteering and working part time alongside my degree to gain experience in a mental health environment, I would like to one day in the distant future apply for the DClinPsy. I am having trouble on choosing which university to go to, I have been accepted onto one course that is MSc Applied Clinical Psychology, and another that is MSc Research Methods in Psychology. A friend of a friend has recently completed her DClinPsy, she went to the same university I’ve had the offer from for Research Methods, she said it really helped her build her confidence in researching and prepared her for doctoral level studies. However, the Applied Clinical Psychology course says it is also aimed at students hoping to progress onto the DClinPsy eventually. Does anyone have any pointers for me about which to choose, as I know how useful RM can be, but I am unsure if a MSc in specifically Clinical Psychology would be more desirable? I have only had the opportunity to complete one module in Clinical Psychology in undergrad, so I would like to have a bit more of a foundation in it through a masters. Really undecided on which to go for, also had an offer for general Applied Psychology. Would appreciate advice from anyone who has been in the same boat
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ew2000x
Hi, I am graduating from my psychology undergrad this year and had a few offers for my masters, but having a bit of a stress about which course to choose. I am currently volunteering and working part time alongside my degree to gain experience in a mental health environment, I would like to one day in the distant future apply for the DClinPsy. I am having trouble on choosing which university to go to, I have been accepted onto one course that is MSc Applied Clinical Psychology, and another that is MSc Research Methods in Psychology. A friend of a friend has recently completed her DClinPsy, she went to the same university I’ve had the offer from for Research Methods, she said it really helped her build her confidence in researching and prepared her for doctoral level studies. However, the Applied Clinical Psychology course says it is also aimed at students hoping to progress onto the DClinPsy eventually. Does anyone have any pointers for me about which to choose, as I know how useful RM can be, but I am unsure if a MSc in specifically Clinical Psychology would be more desirable? I have only had the opportunity to complete one module in Clinical Psychology in undergrad, so I would like to have a bit more of a foundation in it through a masters. Really undecided on which to go for, also had an offer for general Applied Psychology. Would appreciate advice from anyone who has been in the same boat

Pretty much ever masters in psychology purports to be designed for those embarking on the Clinical Psychologist route. Its all marketing, nothing more. Universities know it sells by dropping a line like that in the blurb. Dont pay it any heed.

You dont need a masters for the doctorate, but if you wanted to build your skills then a research masters will probably be the most useful. The main thing though is practical knowledge and experience (after a 2.1 or above in undegrad).

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest