The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine vs Warwick Computer Science

I have received offers from both UCL for Medicine and Warwick for Computer Science, and I am stuck on where to attend. I initially had a lot of passion for medicine, but I think the draining application process and the state of the NHS, as well as a new rule that graduates post 2024 cant work in America (?), has meant that it is something I don’t want to pursue anymore.

My second passion is computer science - I love how technology allows for creative expression whilst also being a tool used to develop an all round smarter society. I want to enter computer science as the money is good and it is something I have enjoyed during work experience and reading, but I also want to attend UCL, due to the internship opportunities in London, and just London student life in general.

I have actually asked UCL to switch, but they’ve said I can only be considered for 2024 entry. Do you think I should take up my Warwick offer or enter medicine at UCL and try to switch. UCL is a lot more globally recognised (correct me if I'm wrong), and since I could technically enter tech with a medicine degree, is it better to go to UCL for medicine whilst building my CV and portfolio outside of lectures? I could also intercalate in Computer Science during my medicine course, but the course would take 6 years.

I feel like I wouldn't completely hate learning medicine, as it’s something I wanted to do before, but I fear that spending 6 years doing something I don’t extremely love may not be the best move.

Anyone currently doing computer science at Warwick or UCL, I’d love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Wow congrats that’s crazy! How did u apply to them both with the same personal statement?? The courses are so different 😭
Reply 2
Thanks, I actually wrote two personal statements, and sent the comp sci one directly to Warwick
(Original post by JJ <3)Wow congrats that’s crazy! How did u apply to them both with the same personal statement?? The courses are so different 😭
Original post by JREDCORN
I have received offers from both UCL for Medicine and Warwick for Computer Science, and I am stuck on where to attend. I initially had a lot of passion for medicine, but I think the draining application process and the state of the NHS, as well as a new rule that graduates post 2024 cant work in America (?), has meant that it is something I don’t want to pursue anymore.

My second passion is computer science - I love how technology allows for creative expression whilst also being a tool used to develop an all round smarter society. I want to enter computer science as the money is good and it is something I have enjoyed during work experience and reading, but I also want to attend UCL, due to the internship opportunities in London, and just London student life in general.

I have actually asked UCL to switch, but they’ve said I can only be considered for 2024 entry. Do you think I should take up my Warwick offer or enter medicine at UCL and try to switch. UCL is a lot more globally recognised (correct me if I'm wrong), and since I could technically enter tech with a medicine degree, is it better to go to UCL for medicine whilst building my CV and portfolio outside of lectures? I could also intercalate in Computer Science during my medicine course, but the course would take 6 years.

I feel like I wouldn't completely hate learning medicine, as it’s something I wanted to do before, but I fear that spending 6 years doing something I don’t extremely love may not be the best move.

Anyone currently doing computer science at Warwick or UCL, I’d love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

What new "rule" that graduates can't work in the US? Do you have a source for that claim?

The fact is that you probably wouldn't be successful going to work in the US after a medical degree from outside the US except in non-competitive specialties and/or unpopular (i.e. rural) areas.

There's no point doing a medical degree if you aren't going to practice medicine at the end. It's just a waste of your time (and a huge waste of taxpayer money, as it costs about £100k per year of the degree for the government to subsidise the training of medical students). The "computers in medicine" intercalated year at UCL is nowhere near comparable to a degree in CS - you do one (singular) module in programming plus a couple maths methods modules. You also are unlikely to have time to develop a coding portfolio during a medical degree between placements and all the lectures, even outside of that year.

I'd also point out, the money in CS is not "good". It's "good" for a small sliver of jobs at FAANG. Most roles are not FAANG. Graduate prospects in CS in the UK were so poor the government commissioned two inquiries into it. Probably because school leavers are mislead into believing that getting a CS degree is a golden ticket to riches when most of the highest paying CS jobs don't even require a degree in CS specifically (or sometimes at all - I don't think google formally requires any qualifications, although I imagine most successful applicants have plenty).

Also incidentally, Warwick is generally considered the stronger CS department out of the two.
Original post by artful_lounger
What new "rule" that graduates can't work in the US? Do you have a source for that claim?
The fact is that you probably wouldn't be successful going to work in the US after a medical degree from outside the US except in non-competitive specialties and/or unpopular (i.e. rural) areas.
There's no point doing a medical degree if you aren't going to practice medicine at the end. It's just a waste of your time (and a huge waste of taxpayer money, as it costs about £100k per year of the degree for the government to subsidise the training of medical students). The "computers in medicine" intercalated year at UCL is nowhere near comparable to a degree in CS - you do one (singular) module in programming plus a couple maths methods modules. You also are unlikely to have time to develop a coding portfolio during a medical degree between placements and all the lectures, even outside of that year.
I'd also point out, the money in CS is not "good". It's "good" for a small sliver of jobs at FAANG. Most roles are not FAANG. Graduate prospects in CS in the UK were so poor the government commissioned two inquiries into it. Probably because school leavers are mislead into believing that getting a CS degree is a golden ticket to riches when most of the highest paying CS jobs don't even require a degree in CS specifically (or sometimes at all - I don't think google formally requires any qualifications, although I imagine most successful applicants have plenty).
Also incidentally, Warwick is generally considered the stronger CS department out of the two.

UCL computer science department is better in terms of research(no.2 in the uk?) and also better reputation. If you live in London (with parents), then your main expenses might be travelling and food (maybe some partying). I disagree with the fact about money. CS is very highly paid for the amount of time you study (medicine atleast 6 yrs, cs 3yrs) and you will be very hot in this industry of graduates as every company needs a SWE. Starting salary in London would be atleast 35-40k. Also FAANG is not the only companies that pay high salary. With CS you can easily go into Finance where you can make starting 100k (hedge funds). I know a friend of mine in UCL CS has an offer from Citadel with total comp of 200k. If not hedge funds, you can get into banks like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, HSBC etc. If you do a masters (MEng) specializing in AI, starting would be at least 60-70k in a decent company. CS gives you the bang for the buck.
Yes you might be right that you don't need a CS degree to work in FAANG, however, your life would just be easy to take CS rather than having to do side projects in the side if you pick like say EE or Maths or Physics.
I will note that at UCL, the teaching is quite bad and you don't get taught much. There is a very high expectation for you to pick up programming languages and a lot of concepts on your own. If you have no experience in programming, CS at UCL will be hard. However, the benefit is that you will be surrounded by very intelligent ppl and that will push you to achieve a lot, as ppl around you will be very proactive i.e. you snooze you lose.
Do you want to be a doctor - or not.
It really is that simple.

And if you don't know - or you are more fussed about UCL 'looking good' - then perhaps you need to take a gap year and think about what you really do want to do with your life, and why.

Latest

Trending

Trending