The Student Room Group

Failed my CertHe

Hi, so I know I’ve failed my CertHe because out of 8 modules I failed one due to submitting an assignment past the deadline. The course is worth 120 at Level 4 and I’ve only got 105. However I also have 45 tariff points so in total I’ve got 150 tarrif points and the uni did say they can take it into consideration. I was told by the uni to write a letter explaining it all to see what can be done as my condition states a pass on the course but what’s the chances I’ll still be accepted?
Original post by km0294819
Hi, so I know I’ve failed my CertHe because out of 8 modules I failed one due to submitting an assignment past the deadline. The course is worth 120 at Level 4 and I’ve only got 105. However I also have 45 tariff points so in total I’ve got 150 tarrif points and the uni did say they can take it into consideration. I was told by the uni to write a letter explaining it all to see what can be done as my condition states a pass on the course but what’s the chances I’ll still be accepted?

From context, it sounds like you are applying to uni on the basis of your CertHE and some level 3 qualifications. Note that not all universities use the UCAS Tariff and unless they specifically advise they make offers based on the tariff, you shouldn't assume they do. Also don't assume that CertHE credits = Tariff points.

In terms of whether you failed or not, you should speak with your programme coordinator/director of studies/personal tutor. You shouldn't assume that you have failed outright, as even if you submit an assignment after a deadline, often for HE programmes this will initially lead to the mark for that assignment just being capped at the minimum gradeof pass.

It is possible that you can be "condoned" in a failed module if it's not a core module and have done well enough in your other modules - allowing you to pass overall (but of course your average may be lower). This varies between courses and unis though so you need to check with the people for your course specifically.

In terms of the offer, universities are able to use their discretion to accept a "near miss" after they get their results. This is however at the university's discretion and there is no guarantee. I would suggest first confirming with your course coordinator whether submitting the assignment late would lead to you failing that assignment, the module, or the entire CertHE, before engaging with the new uni you are applying to. As it may be a moot point - you might've passed anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
From context, it sounds like you are applying to uni on the basis of your CertHE and some level 3 qualifications. Note that not all universities use the UCAS Tariff and unless they specifically advise they make offers based on the tariff, you shouldn't assume they do. Also don't assume that CertHE credits = Tariff points.

In terms of whether you failed or not, you should speak with your programme coordinator/director of studies/personal tutor. You shouldn't assume that you have failed outright, as even if you submit an assignment after a deadline, often for HE programmes this will initially lead to the mark for that assignment just being capped at the minimum gradeof pass.

It is possible that you can be "condoned" in a failed module if it's not a core module and have done well enough in your other modules - allowing you to pass overall (but of course your average may be lower). This varies between courses and unis though so you need to check with the people for your course specifically.

In terms of the offer, universities are able to use their discretion to accept a "near miss" after they get their results. This is however at the university's discretion and there is no guarantee. I would suggest first confirming with your course coordinator whether submitting the assignment late would lead to you failing that assignment, the module, or the entire CertHE, before engaging with the new uni you are applying to. As it may be a moot point - you might've passed anyway.

Hi, thank you for your reply!

I contacted my current uni and they’ve outright said I need to pass all 8 modules to pass the course and as I’ve only got 7 it means I’ve definitely failed the entire course however they did say that they can give me a transcript of the modules I have passed if that can help.

I then contacted the uni where I hold an offer and they initially said I need a full pass of the course but then said told me to write a letter explaining everything and it will be reviewed. It’s just worrying me as it means I won’t actually have that full qualification and not sure what to do next as I’ve already taken out a student finance for this course
Hi, thank you for your reply!

I contacted my current uni and they’ve outright said I need to pass all 8 modules to pass the course and as I’ve only got 7 it means I’ve definitely failed the entire course however they did say that they can give me a transcript of the modules I have passed if that can help.

I then contacted the uni where I hold an offer and they initially said I need a full pass of the course but then said told me to write a letter explaining everything and it will be reviewed. It’s just worrying me as it means I won’t actually have that full qualification and not sure what to do next as I’ve already taken out a student finance for this course

Did they say you had in fact failed the 8th module though? As you seem to be assuming because you submitted late you failed it, however as noted it's entirely possible you passed it with just the minimum pass.

You should definitely get a transcript in any event as it's useful to have a record of your time there.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Did they say you had in fact failed the 8th module though? As you seem to be assuming because you submitted late you failed it, however as noted it's entirely possible you passed it with just the minimum pass.

You should definitely get a transcript in any event as it's useful to have a record of your time there.

Yes they said I’ve definitely failed it as it was submitted over 7 days late which automatically serves as a 0%. And as it’s a 0% I’m not entitled to a reassessment or anything
Yes they said I’ve definitely failed it as it was submitted over 7 days late which automatically serves as a 0%. And as it’s a 0% I’m not entitled to a reassessment or anything

Were there any mitigating circumstances and did you apply for consideration for these? If you did not apply for these at the time and they did occur, have you discussed applying for them retrospectively?

If you have already exhausted that avenue then you will just need to see what the decision of the new uni is. Although without any mitigating circumstances, a fail in the equivalent of the first year of a degree, particularly for non-submission, may be a concern for them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending