The Student Room Group

Why do headteachers do this?

Hi all..

I’m slightly curious as to why headteachers will interview before a closing date.

I have a friend who was found online by a headteacher who went ahead to interview. After the interview, my friend was told they’ll get in touch in a few days after interviewing others.

Interview took place Thursday, other interviews will be Friday. The closing date is in a few days. Friend was told by the headteacher he will be in touch. If the headteacher found my friend online, I assume that’s a positive outcome as it’s the headteacher that approached them?
Original post by Smiley91
Hi all..

I’m slightly curious as to why headteachers will interview before a closing date.

I have a friend who was found online by a headteacher who went ahead to interview. After the interview, my friend was told they’ll get in touch in a few days after interviewing others.

Interview took place Thursday, other interviews will be Friday. The closing date is in a few days. Friend was told by the headteacher he will be in touch. If the headteacher found my friend online, I assume that’s a positive outcome as it’s the headteacher that approached them?

When shortlisting candidates for interview, employers can take of of two approaches. They could interview the best N candidates, in which case they need to wait until all applications are in and the closing date has been reached, before they know who those best N candidates are. Or they can opt to interview all candidates who look good on paper, without a cap of numbers. In the latter case, they don't need to wait until all applications are in before they begin to interview candidates.

If a good candidate applied between Friday (when you've implied the last interviews will take place) and the closing date for applications, then the headteacher may well invite that candidate to interview. Having already interviewed other candidates does not prelude a new applicant from being interviewed too.

Also, why would you assume that just because the headteacher found your friend's details on-line, that this automatically means that he interviewed well and would be a good fit for that particular school? If that were automatically the case, why bother with an interview at all?
Reply 2
That’s a very good point - I’m just going off the feedback my friend gave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending